1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Seagate announces PCIe SSDs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 27 Jan 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. TWeaK

TWeaK Guest

Mechanical drives definitely have had their day numbered, however all the manufacturers are doing their best to keep the price of SSD's high for as long as possible, so the day the old HDD becomes truly obsolete may be a little way off yet.

3. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

It doesn't make sense to me. The whole 'supply and demand' thing seems to have been broken. There is high demand for SSD's and as far as I know, ample supply, so why aren't prices going down? Doesn't make much sense.

4. shanky887614

shanky887614 What's a Dremel?

well you need to thnk of it lie this in buissness they see wether they could either

1.make more money byselling many at a low price

2sellin few at a higher price

and at themoment he companise are doing number 2 becasue as long as there is high demand for them at that price they will keep it there its the same as the iphone. for example a 32gb iphone is £674.
    now i dont know about you but the ipone is not worth 600 pounds to make it would probably cost them less than £200 but because of the popularity of it they wont lower the price becasue it brings in a lot of money

5. Burdman27911

Burdman27911 What's a Dremel?

I think that the issue is in the supply of NAND flash memory that are in SSDs. From what I've heard, the sudden increase in production of SSDs caused the price of NAND chips to go way up (and thus keep the consumer SSD market price high).

6. dicobalt

dicobalt What's a Dremel?

Mechanical drives will continue to be the choice for mass storage of media. SSD will be the drive of choice for running applications and operating systems. It might be a couple more generations before SSD becomes cheap enough on such a large scale and still have acceptable capacity. I would like to see more PCIe based SSD drives. The whole concept of making a consumer SSD with SATA suggests that the drive is intended to be used externally.

7. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

If the article about SSD's doesn't involve a price drop, who cares.

8. bob

bob What's a Dremel?

@Bit-tech, are you guys gonna review some 2tb drives soon? There's quite a few out there now. Just wondering as I desperately need one :(

9. LucusLoC

LucusLoC What's a Dremel?

as long as they keep selling out their stock at this price then they will not lower it. it is only when they find themselves unable to sell all their stock at current prices that the price will fall. that is how supply and demand works: prices only fall when supply outproduces demand at that price point, and even then there is usually a market lag the keeps prices artificially high for a few weeks.

10. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

How many PCIe or PCIe 2 channels would it take to provide more bandwidth than the new SATA 6 Gb/sec standard?

11. shanky887614

just one

SATA 6 Gb/sec is only 600MB a second max

(there are ocz ones allready out that have 1tb just search on google)

12. Burdman27911

Burdman27911 What's a Dremel?

Isn't 6 Gb/s = 768 MB/s? (6144Mb/s * 1MB/8Mb = 768 MB/s)

Either way, that's an acceptable speed for me.... though I suppose I don't have any servers, which would see more of a benefit from that bandwidth.

13. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan What's a Dremel?

Ahh, some things never change. :)

14. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

So why can't they make cheap* PCIe SSD's with a normal amount of NAND flash? (128/256 GB ish)

*When I say cheap, I mean compared to these 1TB enterprise drives.

At last a use for all those x1 PCIe slots.

15. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

interesting to see some 1x PCIe consumer drives. might also reduce latency although it's already stupid low.

people are misinterpreting the supply and demand and laffler curve. demand is high and supply is decent, but there's a price to manufacture. when a technology is still relatively new there's plenty of room to inovate in creating said product. As long as demand remains high, I'm sure manufacturers will figure out how to reduce costs as fabs come online and the technology matures. There's a lower limit on the price to manufacture.

A lot of the cost is R&D. That is much lower for mechanical hdd's as they are much more mature and all the changes are incrimental.

I'm guessing over the next few years. we'll see bigger and bigger market penetration first in laptops then desktops, because IMO storage demand is not increasing at the same pace as HDD size. I mean most grand parent or family computer types will never fill a 1tb HDD. My mom has a 120gig hdd and even with pictures and her small music collection she'll never fill it.

16. shanky887614

actually it is i just didnt bother to take into account the 1024 bit rate or bothering to convert it

17. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

HAHAHAHHAHAA!!!!!!
    Bit-tech made my day with the picture + it's description under it. :D
    I really did not expect that. :)

18. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

@bob, go for the Samsung F3 they're fantastic

19. woodss

woodss Yes Louis Wu

basically SSD's will be great, when they actually get to the party with the beer, they are just taking their time

Tags: Add Tags