1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling After 3 years it's leaking!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BSOD, 13 Jan 2011.

1. BSOD

BSOD What's a Dremel?

Hi folks

Built a watercooled system a few years ago and all has been good until now!!

Realised there was a problem only when I went to turn on the computer and got a 3 bleep error code on boot indicating a problem with the graphics card.

On opening her up found a leak from the connection to the north bridge water block which was dripping directly onto the graphics card:waah:

Just waiting on some new hose to fix.... my question is, as I had feser one fluid solely as the coolent, do you think the graphics card has had it, or as there was also fluid in the pci-e slot of the card as well do you think the motherboard will have bitten it too:wallbash:?

Just pondering until get water loop fixed and can test thereafter - anyone else has a major fesor one leak and got away without damage or not?

Thanks for any advice

2. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

I think you'll be good mate feser is non conductive. give it a good clean up and let us know how it goes.

If its ok feser is worth it, of not i'll go back to good old distilled water and nuke

3. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Feser is only non-conductive as long as it isn't impure. As soon as dust enters it, it will become quite conductive.

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Did you not touch it for 3 years? As you should've checked it once a year...

5. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

All fluids become conductive over time in a loop. However you may be lucky, just make sure you dry off every component thoroughly. You can use a hair dryer on the low setting for the PCI slot.

6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Or air duster to blast the air out...

7. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Mate i give mine a service every 6 months

8. Rofl_Waffle

Rofl_Waffle What's a Dremel?

Feser coolant fried my system within a weak of spilling. So it picks up conductivity fast. (I spilled one drop)

Water itself is not very conductive even with impurities like copper from your blocks. Chances are it can't conduct enough to fry anything unless it touches the power connectors to the motherboard or to the PSU.

I would also recommend you rinse your motherboard through and through. Just dump it in a tub of water since Feser coolant doesn't get out easily. It takes over a month to dry into a harmless stain (seriously) while water dried realiably in 2 hours, maybe 15 minutes if you use compressed gas.

9. Risky

Risky Modder

I had once had a lead onto the soundcard that must have been dripping away for a while as there was a fair bit of corrosion on it but it all survived. On the other hand another leak put a couple of mm of water over the entire boad (when sitting flat) and that didn't survive.

10. BSOD

BSOD What's a Dremel?

Thankyou everyone for your replies

Well, I had serviced it every year and all had been ok, just typically that one part of the loop started to leak. I'll give all the wet components a good dry as you have suggested - prob with a hair dryer on low and as soon as get new tubing through will let you know how things go.

Again, many thanks for your suggestions, it was in these forums that I got the advice I needed to build this system a few years ago but I have forgotten my old username!

It is great to see that these forums are as helpful as they were then:thumb:

11. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Good luck with it mate! If it's dead it'll be a good excuse for an upgrade :p