1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Trouble booting msi770-c45

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DMU_Matt, 29 Jan 2010.

1. DMU_Matt

DMU_Matt mmmm cheesy

I recently put together the following rig:

Mobo: MSI 770-c45
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 550 BE - 3.1Ghz
    RAM: 2x 2GB Corsair DDR3
    PSU: Corsair cx400w
    GFX: VTX Radeon HD 4890
    Case: Silverstone Precision PS02
    CPU fan: Freezer Pro 7 Rev. 2
    HDD: 1x Seagate and 1x other (sorry can't remember this one's make)
    OS: Windows 7 32bit - I know, having 64 bit makes more sense, but that can come after I get everything working (Latest patches, runs perfectly in another rig)

My issue: I can get to the bios and boot menu, but after the first screen where info about the system appears, it just hangs and doesn't boot.

There is no error msg and the '__' line that blinks is 3 or 4 lines below the start position and as I said, the system just hangs.

If anyone can suggest as to why this is, I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Matt

2. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Have you reinstalled win 7 on this new build or just swapped the HDD over from the other rig?

3. DMU_Matt

DMU_Matt mmmm cheesy

just swapped the HDD over

4. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

That will most likely be your prob then, its never advisable to just swap a hdd over from an oldr pc. Sometimes it will work and the OS will configure itself with the correct drivers etc but best to do a fresh install.

5. DMU_Matt

DMU_Matt mmmm cheesy

Ah, ok that makes sense then. How will that work with backups etc. For example if I put the HDD back in the old rig and backed it up (with windows 7 backup utility) will it work ok with the new installation in the new rig? or will it conflict somehow?

6. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I've not used win 7 back up yet, I tend to do mine manually but it shouldn't cause any issues.

I'm not sure if there would be any ownership security issues but I would have thought it would be fine being as its the same copy of Win 7 you are using.

7. DMU_Matt

DMU_Matt mmmm cheesy

Ok, and one last thing. If I was to take this opportunity to start using windows 7 64 bit instead of 32 (as I might as well as I am doing fresh install nonetheless) Would there be any issues with doing that?

Also as I am not accustomed to 64bit OS, would programs and games still run ok on a 64 bit system like they do on 32? I have heard you need different executables... I know this sounds kinda muddled but that is due to my distinct lack of knowledge in this area, could you possibly shed some light into this for me please?

Thanks for the info and thanks in advance to anyone that helps with this extra bit.

Matt

8. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

back in the XP days 64-bit was hit or miss. Vista has been fine for me and win7 should improve on that. The only problem you might have is some third party ie. sony phone software (assholes) not being compatible but thats their problem not microsofts.

Through all the waffle, yea win7 64-bit is the way to go unless your ram starved, ie 2gb or less.

9. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I've not experienced any progs that wouldn't run.

On a couple of progs I have had to run the installer in XP compatibility mode but then all was fine.

10. DMU_Matt

DMU_Matt mmmm cheesy

ok, thats good. I guess I will take this opportunity to go 64bit then. Shouldn't let that 4gb ddr3 and 1gb gfx go to waste now should I :p

Thanks everyone for your help and input.

Tags: