1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming You will never be "good" at StarCraft 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 29 Jul 2010.

1. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

2. ZeDestructor

ZeDestructor Minimodder

I avoid playing online..mainly because I lag massively :(

3. Lord-Vale3

Lord-Vale3 His Tremendousness

That video... where does game end and obsession begin?...

4. NortyOne

NortyOne NortyOne

Im not sure im ever going to attempt the online game tbh. i do enjoy a good RTS and i'd really like to keep it that way lol. Playin a cpu is one thing and cocking up is one thing, playin against the above kind of nutters, not my idea of fun

5. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

And that's why I keep Supreme Commander around.

6. knuck

knuck Hate your face

It has nothing to do with obsession. You most likely have a job. When you do it, you probably work hard at it. That's what those guys do. It's their job and they're the best at it.

I still think APM is ******** though

7. Material

Material Soco Amaretto Lime

ditto.

8. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I play online with friends, rarely against a randomer. This means I don't get that frustration of being whipped by a nerd with a high APM.

9. zelachang

zelachang What's a Dremel?

Getting good at SC takes a lot of mental stamina and hard work. Most SC progamers in korea practice at least 8 hours a day and some, like FlaSh, train 14 hours a day until they burn out. They are rewarded greatly if they can make it though, NaDa is paid ~200k USD per year not including sponsorships and stuff. The best of the best are paid extremely well but they start off in humble beginnings. Most start as B teamers who aren't paid anything and go to the team houses just to train with better people and if they prove themselves worthy can move up the roster to the A team. So yeah, most likely you will never get to crack the upper ranks of starcraft because there are koreans (and actually quite a few europeans/americans) who are willing to practice the game for a year or two while making no money to master the game.

That doesn't mean its not fun though for us average guys. Even when I lose a game I don't feel too bad because it means I need to improve. Whether its scouting more or timing expansions correctly or just increasing average APM and lowering unused resources I can see my skills increase. When I lose a 60 minute Dota game because one of my teammates was a feeder its a much more frustrating experience to me.

10. GFC

GFC What's a Dremel?

"unit spam fest " <- this alone shows why people cant play starcraft. It's a balance between micro and macro, not just "ok, build shed loads of units and HOPE to be lucky".

11. Altron

Altron Minimodder

The thing is, most players are just as bad as you are.

And, as far as I know, there is a ranked match-making system intended to balance the teams.

In the old SC, you had no idea whether your teammate was some kid who bought his first RTS game that morning, or someone ridiculously experienced at it.

Sure, the top 1% have essentially had a decade and a half worth of practice, but the vast majority are either picking up SC2 as their first experience with Starcraft, or have played a enough SC to be familiar with the carryover units, but aren't experts at it.

And, given a couple weeks, the latter two will be indistinguishable.

It's like basketball. It's a fun game which is pretty easy to learn the mechanics of. You can pick up the ball and just shoot some 3-on-3 hoops with a couple of your buddies, and have a great time. With enough practice, you could get pretty good at it, maybe play it on a school team, or join an recreational league.

But you will never, ever be as good as Lebron James. Lebron is playing a whole different game from you. Lebron could kick your ass with one hand tied behind his back.

But, in real life, you're never going to play against Lebron. It's his full time job to play basketball. He makes a ton of money doing it. He's not gonna waste his time beating some noobs on the basketball net in the park - he's going to play solely against players that are almost as good as him.

Just because you're not as good as him doesn't mean that you won't be able to have fun playing basketball with all of the other amateur players, or that you won't even be able to join a team and compete at it. You can play your game, and you can watch Lebron play his game on TV. Maybe you'll learn a trick or two from him, but the fact that he is so much more talented at the game than you doesn't make the game any less fun for either of you.

DragunovHUN likes this.
  12. GFC

GFC What's a Dremel?

+rep to altron. definetly sums it all up.

13. fatty beef

fatty beef State Side

Sucks getting whiped out in 48 seconds. Happens every few games. Pricks creating new accts because they lost twice...

But at least playing the beta, it would be pretty even games where I steamrolled someone and games where I got smoked. Most were pretty intense battles, or won or lost because of how we went up or across the tech tree.

Nothing better than a 72 minute slug fest where the resources are gone and its anyones game. The ladder/league system was pretty effective in the beta and with the amount of people logged on last night (only played single since release) should work fairly well at keeping most people from getting totally screwed.

14. Apoptosis

Apoptosis What's a Dremel?

Totally uninterested in multiplayer in all games.

15. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

the overly done micromanagement by online players is the reason i quit playing RTS games online.

playing game is about having fun, and i think this is why Call of Duty series with their killstreaks made it so big. any player could be on a lucky killstreak and become top of the leaderboard, thus having bucket loads of fun.

RTS games such as Starcraft 2 will not offer anything fun at all, you can't go into this game and expect to win, it's a game purely designed for fanatics. unless you plan to spend ages on it, you really isn't going to get anything out of the game.

16. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

I don't think you need high apm to be good.. just you have to learn to keep many different things going far as expansion and the economy while also microing units for battle.. it's exactly like he said- it's like drawing a picture- your an architect in a way.. I really enjoyed wc3 pace

generals and age of empires is perfect for a slow paced war.. I hated sup commander though- it's way too slow

starcraft was always a little ocd =]

17. Sombrero

Sombrero What's a Dremel?

They should probably learn something a bit more useful. Just a bit.

That video makes me sad.

18. sl1xx

sl1xx What's a Dremel?

IT's all ranked nw so you should be playing ppl your own level, at the end of the day you can be low level and still be good in your own league,have a build order,watch replays make some macros to make controling units easyer and get used to useing the hot keys and not mouse clicking that alone will make you a better player even if you dont have the best rts mind.most of all just enjoy it either way and if you get good hey you get good!

19. zelachang

zelachang What's a Dremel?

As I said earlier, the guy in the video is making $200k+ a year and has an enormous number of fans in Korea. If you're going to say that then all professional sports players should learn something more useful am I right?

20. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

This game isnt about APM and its been proven you can have a very low apm of about 80-90 and still be good. (casual gamers will probably average near the 70-80 I would estimate if memory serves me correct from my warcraft 3 days.

The first ever player to reach #1 rank in warcraft 3: The frozen throne with no losses had an average APM of 80-90.

His name was Qazzi I believe but went under the name of " io."

He wasnt a pro-korean gamer at the time either but became one of the greats purely for his accomplishments and beating insanely good players with low actions per minute.

It is possible.