1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Can I uninstall steam and keep my games?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Boscoe, 16 Jan 2011.

1. Boscoe

Boscoe Electronics extraordinaire.

Steam annoys me but an I keep the games I have downloaded through steam if I uninstall it?

2. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

they will not work if you do dude.

3. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

You can't play the games until you reinstall Steam, as they're tied to your Steam-account.

4. Boscoe

Boscoe Electronics extraordinaire.

Okay thanks.

I'm trying to play far cry 2 but every time I try to open it it just closes again after I triedminimizing the game to stop my music. Why is this?

5. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

That's Far Cry's problem, not Steam's. Why you would subject yourself to Far Cry 2 voluntarily I don't know, but have a look on their support forums.

6. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

You mean, you click to play, then nothing happens? I had that happen very recently to me as well with a few Steam games. I solved it by uninstalling my PhysX driver, then simply playing the game again - it should install an older version which you can then update later.

Don't know if it'll help but definitely give it a go!
    I have to agree :sigh: .

7. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Perhaps the OP enjoys driving (and being ambushed) a lot? :hehe:

8. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

so to understand, you start far cry 2 play it for a bit, alt-tab to minimize it, stop your media player, and it crashes when you try and bring it back to focus? if thats the case stop alt tabbing out of the game.

9. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

Get a media keyboard :)

Also, Farcry is a pile of crap. Not the game itself, but getting it running. Be happy your have it on steam. I got it with my last graphics card, and it refused to run, with Securom kicking up a huge fuss about me not having the disk in (obviously I did). After countless hours of tweaking and uninstalling other programs (Daemon, specifically) and still not getting it working, I just downloaded a cracked version and used my serial with it. Stupid game.

10. feedayeen

feedayeen What's a Dremel?

I've had a similar problem with the Far Cry series when I initially set the game in windowed mode. Usually the first few launches end up on crashing but eventually it stabilizes. Windowed mode and alt-tabing with both prevent the game from having full focus* so that might be a thought. If it is this, add '-windowed' for the launch options in steam and after a few crashes in the menu, alt-tab will work fine forever.

*for lack of a better word in my personal dictionary of computery terms