1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News GIF pronounced 'jif', and don't you forget it!

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 22 May 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Ballaches! Who in their right mind pronounces it 'jif'. Get lost old man. You've got your award and some time back in the spotlight, so put your poo stirring stick away. Why don't you disappear into the ether again and remain forgotten like everyone else who's actually done something and leave the limelight to people who worked hard at being famous for doing nothing of any real significance, like steve jobs.

3. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Go home, Steve "While-Hit-ee", you're drunk!

4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

GIF... Guh. IF

No point in waiting decades before trying to correct people. Foolish man. Go home and play with your spring :p

5. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

Urm... I do. Everyone has been pulling me up on it. And now I'M RIGHT!

6. David

Nah. Now, you're just as wrong as him :hehe:

7. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Is it a Jif or a jpg......my brain hurts.

[​IMG]

8. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Let me quote something i found just now :
    Oh and you do pronounce JPEG aj JPEJ ?

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

He hasn't waited decades - he's been telling people it's pronounced jif for years. Take this page, for example, created in 2001. Ever since CompuServe went live with the spec in 1987 its creators have been pronouncing it 'jif.' It's just the rest of the world who disagreed - and Steve Wilhite's been shouting into the void ever since. It's only now that he's got an award that the news agencies have picked up on the 'controversy' and are treating it like he'd never said it before...
    Amusing, but proves nothing: do you say g-iraffe, or jiraffe? G-ee or jee? G-eneral or jeneral?

Don't get me wrong, I see the logic in it being the "graphics" interchange format, and therefore g-if - but acronyms are rarely pronounced according to their individual words. Take NASA: the first A is aeronautics - an 'eh' noise. You don't say 'NEHSA,' though. You say NASA. Nor do you say 'arrownautics.' Frankly, the inventor can say it's pronounced 'Jeffry' if he wants to - it's his creation.

By that logic, we should all be pronouncing JPEG as "jayfeg." After all, the P is for "Photographic," so if the G in GIF has to be a hard G to match "Graphics," the P in JPEG has to be an F sound to match "Photographic."

Last edited: 22 May 2013
  10. David

He ain't very good at shouting is he? It's still far too late, you could publicise it everywhere and people won't change now.

Besides, the first letter represents the word "Graphics", not "Jraphics"; which sounds a lot like a long necked quadruped, also spelt with a G. :lol:

11. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

We're not wrong though, Steve. It begins with G. People don't say things out loud on the internet.

Congratulations on your life time achievement award for domestic surface cleaner.

12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

And, as I have pointed out, the second letter of JPEG represents the word "Photographic" not "P-otographic," so we should be pronouncing JPEG as "jayfeg" if we're applying that kind of logic to the matter.

13. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

I use a G. I will continue to do thus. I will continue to look at people funny when describe a graphic as Jiff, which I still associate with a cleaning product. That is all.

14. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

No! "P" is never pronounced "F". "PH" can be. So JPEG cannot be pronounced JPHEG!

Sheesh...

GIF is pronounced GIF with a hard "G". Same as girl, gigaflop, gift, gimp, give, girth, giggle, giddy, gizmo, gills and git.

If he'd really wanted it to be pronounced 'jif' and cared so much about then he should have come up with a different acronym not one open to ambiguity.

End. Of.

But we can't blame the guy. His name is Steve Wilhite... which is too close to "Steve Will Hate" and "Steve Gob Shite" for my tastes.

Time to move on everyone. Popular usage eclipses legacy use. Take the Tourism Federation of Wisconsin who had to change their name from the Wisconsin Tourism Federation and drop their WTF acronym and logo. True story.

15. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

And where do Giraffes feature?

16. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

As another misspelled word. ;)

17. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

or generators (or should that be jenerators?)

18. Gareth Halfacree

Precisely. Plus gist, giant, gigantic, ginseng, ginger and gingerly. Fun fact: there are two Gs in the English Language: the soft G, and the hard G. Your list of words uses the hard G; my list of words uses the soft G. Note that there's no way of knowing which is which from the spelling.

The fact remains: GIF is a soft G, and as a result is pronounced "jif" and (were it an actual word, rather than an acronym) would be in my list, not yours.

19. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Now I understand why Jif had to rebrand to Cif.

20. lava

lava Minimodder

Majority rules with this, gif more commonly used than jif. Heard a few people use jif before but the first time i heard it i wondered what the hell they were going on about.

Tags: Add Tags