1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics GPU Compatability with 4k HDMI 2.0 TVs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by roosauce, 10 Nov 2014.

1. roosauce

roosauce Looking for xmas projects??

Hi All,

It's been a while since I hit the forums but I'm struggling to get a firm answer on GPU connectivity with 4K TVs.

Specifically, I am running 2x GTX Titans in SLI and am considering a 4K TV - something like a Samsung UE48HU7500 - to use as a primary monitor.

I do understand that there is a potential input lag issue using TVs like this, but I don't do a massive amount of fast-twitch gaming.

The problem is that the TV obviously doesn't have display port input. It has 4x HDMI 2.0 inputs instead.

If I understand correctly, If I just use a HDMI cable from the Titans to the TV then I will top out at 30Hz - is that right? Is there a better method - dual link DVI to HDMI adapter? I haven't found anything that will convert display port to HDMO 2.0.

Any tips would be appreciated. If I can't run 4K at 60Hz then I will just have to stick with my current monitor ... hopefully I'm just missing something obvious.

2. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Yes. To quote NVidia:

However, this might be worth the read but I did a bit of digging on this and a post on the NVidia forums came up and it looks like that it might not be supported when SLI is being used. That post is here. That was back in June though so it may be supported by now.

Last edited: 10 Nov 2014
    roosauce likes this.
  3. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

For true 4K, you've got a couple options:

1. Wait for the rumoured "new" Titans, with the needed HDMI 2.0 Maxwell goodness.

2. Swap out the Titans for GTX980's.

3. Find a TV that accepts 4K @60hz over Displayport

roosauce likes this.
  4. roosauce

roosauce Looking for xmas projects??

Thanks guys. So, it sounds like I could run from my HDMI 1.4 connections, but not in SLI and the colour will be degraded.

I don't need Titans ... so if the 980/970s have HDMI 2.0 then I could sell the Titans and go that way.

I'll have a look for TVs with display ports (don't know of any) and I guess just keep watching out for a 38+ich 4k monitor.