1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Can't slow slow down my CPU fan

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by danlab825, 4 Dec 2010.

1. danlab825

danlab825 What's a Dremel?

I have a gigabyte p55-usb3 motherboard with an i5-750 processor running on it. I recently overclocked the processor to about 3.6ghz so I upgraded cpu cooler, I went with a corsair a50. As soon as I turned the computer on after this I noticed the cpu fan was ridiculously loud. I checked my hardware monitor and the fan spins at 2200 rpm even when the computer is idle ( it idles around 25-30 C ). I tried to use bios and various utilities ( including the one from gigabyte ) to change the fan speed.

Anyone have suggestions how I could change the fan speed before I break down and just buy a new fan?

2. quirkalfeeg

quirkalfeeg Its a trick...get an axe.

Hi,

Sounds odd - dopey question, but have you disabled the BIOS fan management? Is it set to disabled (ie Fan on full speed)?

Q.

3. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Agreed. Some boards are set to turbo by default as well.

4. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

It's a 3 pin fan plug so can't be pwm controlled via the CPU cooler header. There should be an adapter supplied with the fan to reduce the speed to around 1600rpm or you could plug it into another fan header that doesn't rely on pwm for fan control.

5. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

unplug it... problem solved.

your welcome

6. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

his motherboard has the ability to regulate the CPU fan speed via PWM or voltage control. so even if he has a 3-pin fan, he should be able to control the speed with the MOBO.

+1 to quirkalfeegs statement. ensure the CPU fan control isnt set to disabled in BIOS. furthermore, make sure its set to voltage control, and not PWM control.

7. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Make sure you have the latest BIOS installed too, there's been some updates in this field lately.

The Easytune 6 utility should allow you to control all this, can you post screenshots of how it is right now?

8. Dark Matter

Dark Matter Minimodder

Bios update fixed this for me too :)