1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sinclair ZX Spectrum celebrates 30 years

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 23 Apr 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. guvnar

guvnar What's a Dremel?

Oh happy days, went from Vic 20 to this...

3. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

I had the +3, no sitting around listening to the whole silly tape for it to not load properly. I only waited about 30 seconds for it to not load properly :)

4. Siskodata

Siskodata What's a Dremel?

Got my 1st computer (ZX Spectrum) in August 1984 as I started working as a student worker. It was my second greatest purchase I had made in my live the first being a Walkman. Had computers ever since from Amigas to PCs. After the Spectrum i was going to buy a Sam Coupe but instead got an Amiga 500.

30 years ago! I am getting old.

5. Tynecider

Tynecider Since ZX81

My first comp, spent many a day with my head buried in a copy of Input magazine, then spend hours typing up lines code for entertainment, which was better than holding your breath in case a game did not load, lol.

6. philheckler

philheckler Used to be a pc enthusiast

I upgraded my speccy with a 48k ram pack , hard keyboard and microdrive... loveed games like - manic miner / jet set willly / elite / all the utimate games (jetpack / atic atak / sabretooth.) those were the days

7. Flexible_Lorry

Flexible_Lorry What's a Dremel?

I was 6 when I played Match Day at a friend's house. I learnt Z80 assembly from Andrew Hewson in Sinclair User, and made my own disassembler.. in assembly. I made a silly Space Invaders clone in BASIC then assembly. Then I made a shooting gallery sort of game. And I made a paint programme, and my own word processor. And now... I play games and do shift work :)

8. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Not as good as my Commodore 64....na.na.na.na.

9. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

I had it's daddy, ZX81

10. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

I have a Spectrum +3 Action Pack collecting dust in our spare room. It was my Wife's when she was younger, and as far as we know is working. I just haven't had time to plug it in and test it out! What are these worth now - is it worth selling?

11. favst89

favst89 What's a Dremel?

My first experience of programming was on my dad's old spectrum, a few years older than me. I will have to dig it out when I get back home from work.

12. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

This.

The Speccy was a pale imitation of the all-powerful C64, and anyone who had one was a complete loser and a dosser too. At least, that's what I told my school friends.

Manic miner, anyone?

13. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

I grew up with an Acorn Electron. I used to spend hours copying code from magazines to build programs - saving them to tape and then running to find I had mis-spelled a command at line xx. Load it up, edit, save and hey presto a little white ball moving around the screen :)

Happy days

14. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

i was more of a commodore fan, vic 20, commodore 64, amiga 500(converted with denise)added a cdrom drive, then a cd32 with sx1 module.

15. Coltch

Coltch Minimodder

Had a Speccy 48K (rubber keys) before moving onto the Commodore 64. The Ultimate games (Tranz-AM, Sabrewulf, Knightlore etc) were classics but who could forget firing up Chequered Flag in the tape deck!.

I now have a ZX Spectrum+ and Spectrum +2 hooked up and my 10 year old son loves it (not as much as Sensible Soccer on my Amiga's though), I'm even going through Sinclair BASIC with him - and realising how much of a pain in the a*** it was when you type run and got an error!

16. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I still have one [possibly 2] and a zx-81 somewhere, still worked last time I checked...

might have to dust them off and have a play while TVs still have analogue tuners...

17. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

I had a second hand 48k rubber key jobbie for a while before getting a 128k +2 for christmas in 1987. I remember exactly what year it was as that was the year that The Living Daylights was out and I had the tie in special edition pack with the HUGE box and light gun. The whole boxed set is still in my parent's loft and as far as I know still works fine (well it did last time it was used)

18. ViPPeR_666

ViPPeR_666 What's a Dremel?

It's quite obvious that their designers were Pink Floyd fans. lol

19. numanoid

numanoid Modder

Awesome, i remember playing ELITE on this, had to put a stupid glass thing onto the tv screen to see the code...loved it....shooting at ferdilance ships and bloody flying saucers (who battered me) lol

20. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Yes, I remember the "Lenslok" security system, bloody awful it was too but it seems the a lot of the games I liked had it.

I loved my old Speccy, the ingenuity that some of the programmers had more than made up for the lack of processing power. I really loved the isometric 3D games, Knight Lore was the first one I remember playing, loved Batman and I thought Head over Heels was just brilliant. I also reckon that I don't recall a better first release strategy game than the Lords of Midknight - I played that game to death!!