1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel working on Next Generation Form Factor SSDs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 6 Aug 2012.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

forget notebook, that fit in smartphone

3. [-Stash-]

[-Stash-] What's a Dremel?

I would love to get some faster storage in my phone. It's barely acceptable as it stands.

4. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

And bigger! My iPhone is 16gig which just isn't enough for me. There was a 32gig option when I got it but it was out of stock. Next time I upgrade I would really love a 64gig.

5. AmEv

AmEv Meow meow. See yall in 2-ish years!

I'd love one in my tablet! The thing in there is SLOW....

6. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

one of these things in a tablet would be roughly the same size as the motherboard...

7. AmEv

AmEv Meow meow. See yall in 2-ish years!

10.1"?

8. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

motherboards in tablets are half to 2 thirds of the overall package, although I have seen smaller.

Teelzebub likes this.
  9. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Apart from the iPad(3), the motherboard in that is 2cm in down done side. The rest of the space is the battery!

Back to the point, I'm interested in this as it means we'll have smaller cases, and if motherboards didn't come with SATA ports they could be smaller too (thinking from a purely desktop stand point).

Teelzebub likes this.
  10. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

^This

Teelzebub likes this.
  11. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Yeah, tablet hardware really is miniscule, despite the power of the components. That's one of the things that makes ARM's rise in profile/popularity a very exciting prospect. Just look at the size of the Raspberry Pi - that would be even smaller if it didn't need a host of big ugly ports stuck to the board.

And it's a very intriguing idea indeed, if this is actually true. The minimum size mentioned in the article is 20mm; the prospect of having a motherboard with just a 20mm hard drive poking out - and no other storage or optical drives - is a pretty tasty one. Even if you don't get massive capacities at that size, as little as 16GB would be enough to install an OS and a few basic applications - perfect for an average home desktop or an HTPC; you can always offload large file storage to a network location. Even if network storage is not really an option for mainstream consumers, it's easy for an SME or your average bit-tech reader :).

Teelzebub likes this.