1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food & Drink Mouldy jam

Discussion in 'General' started by profqwerty, 4 Jun 2008.

1. profqwerty

profqwerty What's a Dremel?

So I made some crumpets this morning for the first time in ages, and the strawberry jam had mould on the top. It's had it before, but never in this quantity. Being short on time + hungry, I took out as much as I could with a spoon and used the jam anyway.

Around mid morning I started feeling ill, sort of cold/flu symptoms, but too much but definitely there. I may have gotten this before hand as I think my brother had a cold when he was at home over the weekend.

Does anyone know if the mould on jam is actually toxic in any way shape or form??

2. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

LOL.

3. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Some mould that grows on food is inert and some contain mycotoxins which will make you ill. I don't believe there is a way outside of a lab to tell what type is growing on your jam as it's dependent on too many environmental factors.

What I will say is, if you're into eating mouldy food, avoid eating nuts.

If you're worried and the symptoms persist, consult your GP. A sample of jam may be useful.

4. Dave Penguin

Dave Penguin O hai.

"Now, what seems to be the matter?"

"I'm not feeling very well"

"Oh, well there's nothing I can do for you. Sorry."

"Not even with some lovely Jam??"

"Ah now that's a different matter! Jam changes everything! Let's get cracking... Trousers Down please!"

(Why is it every doctor in my imagination is a secret serial rapist?)

5. Korvaz

Korvaz What's a Dremel?

Was it all scary, and in grainy black and white film? Think about it.

6. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Probably not the best idea, but I doubt the mould will do any harm, most don't and people eat mould everyday, they usually don't let it grow to a colony first and then eat it.
    Then again it could be a mould loaded with spores and eadly toxins, or a mould which will give you a fungal infection from the inside.

7. ToMMo

ToMMo What's a Dremel?

Haha to be fair, if I was hungry I'd do the exact same thing, however it must have been damn old Jam to get a layer of mould. Good work.

Family Guy? Peter Griffen gets a prostate examination.
    http://www.zippyvideos.com/5690436926220626/family_guy_-_prostate_exam/
    hahaha I love family guy!

8. Shadow_101

Shadow_101 Minimodder

That had me cracking up :hehe:

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Never a good idea to eat mouldy foods that should not be mouldy. Some are quite harmless (such as certain types ones found on cheese), while some, as Silver51 indicates, can be pretty dangerous --especially the ones found on nuts, cereals and bread.

Even when you scoop off the furry layer, mould roots can extend as far as 2 inches into the food they are growing on. Typically, that's where most of the harmful mycotoxins are that can cause allergic responses and respiratory problems. They are mostly found in moulds growing on grain and nut crops, but also on celery, grape juice, apples, and other produce, and yes, also jams. So basically, mouldy jam should be thrown out. Microbiologists recommend against scooping out the mould and using the remaining jam. Another factoid to consider is that when food is mouldy, it has most likely gone off in other ways too. It may be stale, rotting or infected with bacteria (not the friendly ones).

The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations estimates that 25% of the world's food crops are affected by mycotoxins, of which the most notorious are aflatoxins. Aflatoxin is a cancer-causing poison and has been associated with various diseases such as aflatoxicosis in livestock, domestic animals, and humans throughout the world.

Moulds are used to make certain kinds of cheeses and can be on the surface of cheese or be developed internally. Blue veined cheese such as Roquefort, blue, Gorgonzola, and Stilton are created by the introduction of Penicillum roqueforti or its spores. Cheeses such as Brie and Camembert have white surface moulds. Other cheeses have both an internal and a surface mould. These moulds are all safe to eat.

10. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

I'm amazed that warning hasn't made it to the labels of jams yet, along with a funky Microbiologist logo of some sort. Is it all microbiologists or is there 1 in 10 that recommends something else, like dentists and toothpaste?

11. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I ate some mouldy bread on Monday and I felt like **** for the rest of the day.

12. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

How else will you build up an immunity?

Eat dirt, lick slugs, get colds, enjoy spotted mouldy bread.

There's too many antibacterial cleaners out there - how did our parents ever survive?

13. Major

Major Guest

So damn true, I think people under estimate what are body is capable of doing, and that a little bit of crap here and there isn't going to kill us.

14. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

Yup, I like to exercise my immune system on a regular basis, it also makes a great excuse for not doing the washing up :thumb:.

Its quite possible that your symptoms are psychosomatic, you've eaten mouldy food than you know you probably shouldn't have so It may be that your mind is telling you you're feeling ill so you don't do it again.

Moriquendi

15. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

My grandparents had a bottle of squash (orange flavour I believe) that had actually turned into some kind of jelly it was so old. Most people would throw it out, but because they are still under the impression that zee Germans are coming to get them at any moment they happily served it to us.

Saying that, I'll happily eat mouldy cheese and anything gone off that's in a tin or my freezer.

16. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

If they ate mouldy Walnuts, they didn't. In which case your 'parents' may have something they're not telling you.

Edit: for more information; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aflatoxin

Last edited: 4 Jun 2008
  17. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

"Our parents" were probably taught not to eat mouldy food... that's how they survived.

18. profqwerty

profqwerty What's a Dremel?

I've taken 3 nurofen express capsules over the afternoon, and have certainly brightened up but still sliiiightly dizzy.

This particular jar has been mouldy before and i scraped it off, I just never replaced it (it's still half full!!).

We don't use any of these anti bacterial things on tabletops, a damp cloth removes most things quite happily.

I'm gonna put it down to manflu :p

19. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I think you've got aids... But don't worry:

20. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Drink crude oil, snort glue, use domestos as shower gel.

I'm all for growing mould cultures in the cups on my desk but there's a reason most people don't eat it.

Tags: