1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 8 - Yearly license fee?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ljs, 11 Jun 2015.

1. Ljs

Ljs Modder

I was talking to a lady at work and she mentioned that she pays £50 a year for a license of W8 on her sons laptop (purchased from Curry's). Is this right?

I instantly thought she was getting scammed but through I'd check first. I've only ever brought a license in full for not much more than what she pays a year!

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Sounds more like they have signed her up for their "Care Plan" AFAIK there is no such thing as a yearly license fee for any consumer version of Windows (yet).

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Yeah, it'll be a care plan.

However, they do a lovely job of helping unwary customers arrive at the conclusion that they absolutely have to have it. My sister nearly fell for the same thing, until she phoned me to check and put the sales assistant on the phone. The script fell apart pretty quickly from there on.

4. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Calling out Curry's and PC World sales "assistants" would be a favourite pastime of mine if I could bear going to the shop to do it.

The Care Plan actually seems like decent value for the uninitiated though, assuming that they deliver properly on what they promise. I suppose a lot of it would just come under standard warranty obligations as well though.

5. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Ok thanks guys, just thought I'd check first - I'll inform her!

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I have no problems with them providing a care plan, but their methods of peddling it are questionable at best.

7. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Oh absolutely, no argument with that.

8. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

It could also be a misunderstanding on her part, and it's Office 365 she's referring to/paying for?

9. Plastic_Manc

Plastic_Manc Minimodder

I had this with a fridge freezer recently through them:

"You should definitely buy the 5 year care plan for x"

"But the first 3 years are under warranty anyway so I'm giving you that for only 2 years cover right?"

"Erm, yeah. It is a bad deal isn't it."

10. Ljs

Ljs Modder

She's not particularly stupid so I think this is the most likely reason.

I didn't really speak to her about it (just sent a brief email even though she sits about 2 metres away) as if it was anything untoward, I didn't want to make her feel uncomfortable/embarrassed (if she had been conned in any way, no one wants to be made look stupid - especially in front of colleagues).

Much appreciate the clarification.