1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other RMA warranty

Discussion in 'General' started by David, 25 Mar 2015.

1. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Following on from a thread in the Scan forum, but I didn't want to continue the discussion in that sub forum.

If you get a warranty replacement, the replacement item assumes the remainder of the original's warranty period. I'm trying to get my head around why this is acceptable.

Unlikely but plausible scenario - your item dies with just days left on it's warranty. The retailer honours the warranty and processes the RMA, which takes a few days. So, you get the replacement and it's DOA, but the warranty period has now expired.

I know the Sale of Goods act can be called upon to enforce claims in this situation, but my point is the new replacement could have easily been sold retail with a full warranty, so why not issue a standard warranty with the replacement?

Does this make any sense?

2. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Because everything is made down to a cost and is expected to barely make it past the warranty period, causing you to have to go and spend more money buying a replacement. If the warranties reset, then items would probably keep on getting replaced and manufacturers would have to make things last better, probably at the cost of profit on new items.

Some places do give you a new warranty on replacement items IIRC, not a full warranty, but a partial one.

Doesn't make any sense from a moral or customers point of view, but since when have retailers/manufacturers cared about those things, :D

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Sorry, I didn't word my post very well. When I said:
    I should've said, "why are they not FORCED to issue a full warranty with the replacement?".

4. sparkyboy22

sparkyboy22 Web Tinkerer

Because you haven't just purchased a new item.
    I think it is unreasonable to expect a full warranty on a replacement.

If you get a replacement a few days before the end of the warranty and it is DOA then its not unreasonable to expect that to be replaced. My job deals with high cost electronics for disabled people and we would replace again if a replacement product was DOA even if it had then run over the warranty period as we would have failed to complete the warranty replacement correctly.

5. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

The fact of the matter is and people will disagree with me and throw EU legislation at me, but retailers and manufacturers are not legally required to provide goods with any warranty. Either new or used.

Warranty is always bound by t&c's and its common if something is replaced to only be provided with the remainder of the warranty period you had from the original product.

6. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Without trying to sound like a dick I f**king hate the EU legislation when it comes to consumer electronics.

Dealt with some many people who expected us to do something to fix their out of warranty product for free because of certain Legislation which didnt cover them and some other stuff :wallbash: