1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other wedding bands

Discussion in 'General' started by silk186, 30 Apr 2015.

1. silk186

silk186 Derp

I'm getting married in September and I'm in the market for wedding bands. The Misses would like matching if possible. Doing a bit of research on the UK market I see that Hatton Garden jewellers is that largest near me. We will have a trip to Germany before getting married in China. This gives me three choices of where to buy the rings: UK, Germany or China.

My ideal ring would be a platinum 950 Heavy D-Shape 6mm band so it shouldn't be hard to find.

2. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Thought this was going to be about music at weddings. Disappointed.

Seriously, though, I'd imagine that China will be cheaper than the UK, which will be comparable to Germany. Personally, I'd just get down to Hatton Garden and look around a whole bunch of jewellers to get an idea of cost. You're not exactly looking for anything particularly unusual so just go along and see what's what. I'd not buy in China personally unless you are going to be over there for a fair while before the wedding - just in case there's a delay with the order, it doesn't turn up or it turns up but isn't as expected.

3. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Platinum is very expensive compared to more traditional materials, just be forewarned.

We ended up going for a somewhat less thraditional Sterling Silver in the case of my wedding.
    The reasoning was:
    a) the wife dislikes gold as a colour.
    b) the wife killed me over the price of the diamond already - had to sneak that past her by putting it in the engagement ring.
    c) the wife is allergic to Nickel. The Jewellers weren't sure on whether their supply of white gold was nickel free.

If there are Diamonds involved, read up about them and talk to your jeweller. They should be able to prove that every diamond sold is not from a crisis zone (DeBeers act or something like that).

Other than that, i can only recommend going bespoke (so many decisions in that process though, which may add to the stress leading up to the big day). We managed to have something simple for me, something more elegant for her, yet they match.
    Will post a pic once I find it.

4. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

My advice, and what we did, is to take a trip up to the Jewellery Quarter in Birmingham and buy from the people who actually make the rings direct. It works out significantly cheaper than buying from anywhere else, and the choice is literally ridiculous. If you can't find it in a shop, then they'll make it for you, and again it will be vastly cheaper.

I have a heavy weight platinum, half court (I think that's what you mean by D shaped), whilst my wife has a slightly slimmer version with a twist on one side that allows her engagement ring to fit snugly. We got both rings for about £900, and their retail price anywhere else was over £2000.

5. silk186

silk186 Derp

Thanks for the advice, I had thought that London was the cheapest. I will look into this place.

6. shindead

shindead What's a Dremel?

I would ask to get your rings rhodium plated as platinum is a very dull metal after a while as it doesn't hold its shine as well as white gold. A rhodium plate should solve this issue and helps to prevent tarnishing. Even though rhodium is a part of the platinum group it is a lighter colour. Its also very inexpensive to get done.

p.s. My parents work in the jewelry quarter so if you need any assistance then please dont hesitate to contact me. They will be able to recommend you a place to go.

7. silk186

silk186 Derp

If I get the ring rhodium plated does it matter what the core metal is? As in if I had silver with rhodium plate would it looks the same as white gold or platiunum with rhodium plate?

8. Xir

Xir Modder

If you're flying into Germany, chances are there's a store of these guys on the airport:

www.123gold.de

And while the website name is awfull and very unprofessional, they're actually a huge outfit.
    Besides having a huge selection of ready rings, their highlight is that you can "build your own" ring, means you pick the ring shape to one that's comfortable (this may differ between you and your wife!) and of course the size, and the design, and still get a good matching pair.
    This is all possible in the configurator.
    You choose one of the rings in the configurator and can change nearly everything.

My wife and I shopped through the better parts of all jewelleries of three major cities, and none could top their range of choices.

9. shindead

The core metal is mostly irrelevant - the outcome of the colour will be slightly different. The major issue you will find with platinum is that it well get dull VERY quick and you will constantly be taking it in to polish.

Rhodium plating acts as a coating which prevents tarnishing and is usually used at the final stage of polishing anyway for platinum, I would personally just double check with whoever makes the rings for you.

White gold and platinum arnt a long shot off each other in colour to begin with but as I have said white gold will last longer in terms of shine compared to platinum.

If you are looking into having your rings custom made and arnt too far from Birmingham. I can ask my parents where is the best place to get rings made. They had theirs made there as well as my older brothers and sisters.

10. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

Teelzebub tends to buy his jewellery (including rings) from Australia these days, despite living in Wales - really good quality and pricing. Why not drop him a PM and he can give you their website details.

11. jrduquemin

jrduquemin Minimodder

How about titanium?

12. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I looked at Platinum when I got married, then cried at the price, it was suggested that I try palladium. For me this was due to issues I have with skin on my fingers. In 3 years I've never had a problem with it. It is less dense than Platinum, but also cheaper.

As for where you purchase from I couldn't really help I'm afraid, it is the only piece of expensive metal I own, or intend to own.

13. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Platinum does lose its shine quickly (personally I think that is part of the charm...), but can be buffed very quickly back and unlike gold it doesn't "lose" metal when it gets scratched etc. Rhodium plating does protect it, but you'll be back for re-plating on a regular basis.

Glad other people also agree Birmingham is the place to go. Never London, seriously.

14. shindead

Platinum is horrible looking metal once dulled. The majority of places that sell platinum jewelry will have automatically rhodium plated it within their final polishing stage.

Luckily I have a plating machine at home, so for myself it isn't really a hassle at all. Then again I know people who send their stuff off and its a very quick process anyway.

I grew up in the Birmingham Jewelry quarter :) Its a shame how much it has died down... But because of this people are able to get themselves a really good deal.

15. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Don't think many people have a plating machine at home ;) You're right though, re-plating is fast, it just adds to the cost over time.

16. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Last edited: 4 Jan 2018
  17. shindead

Pretty sure it wouldn't matter which metal it is :s if they cant get it off they cant get it off....

18. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I have yet to come across a band that can't be removed or cut off, even titanium ones. Just make sure it's insured as we have no mercy, fingers come first!

19. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I thought this was going to be about marching bands doing there thing in Hatton Garden. So disappointed as I was so ready with suggestions

20. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team