1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards X79 Motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by damien c, 25 Mar 2013.

1. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Potentially could be upgrading to Sandy Bridge E next week finally, have wanted to since it was released but never really managed to get the funds to cover it.

Now I may have between £650 and £800 next week but not 100% sure yet as I need to wait till I have paid 1 bill before I can know for sure, as the bill may kill my upgrade fully.

I am stuck with a choice of 2 motherboard one that I really want, and one that I may just have to get as a put me on.

I am not good at saving money to be honest as soon as it hit's my hand I want to spend it :(

So basically the board I want is the Rampage IV Extreme because, it will fit in with my plans for my pc later in the year, however if I don't have enough for it I will have to get a cheaper board.

I am looking at the MSI GD45 (8D) which according to reviews is pretty good anyway.

So would you try and save the money to cover getting the Rampage at 1st or would you knowing you struggle to save would you buy the MSI to cover you untill you have the funds for the Rampage board?

2. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Asus Rampage IV Extreme. Nuff said! :D

As I have plenty of experience with this board, I can give you plenty of tips. :)

3. xxxsonic1971

xxxsonic1971 W.O.T xxxsonic1971

I have a msi gd458D and not had any problems, it looks cool too! I got mine for £50 from novatech(openbox)

4. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I was planning on giving you a shout :thumb: when I got the board eventually.

@ Sonic

Have you overclocked your cpu and if so how did the board handle it and how did you find the bios?

I have seen in the reviews it pretty much keeps up with the Rampage board, and others whilst running cooler and using slightly less power, but looses by around 10% in terms of benchmarks etc.

5. xxxsonic1971

xxxsonic1971 W.O.T xxxsonic1971

I have only overclocked mine using the 43x multi as i need to get a good cooler sorted, it runs fine at that with no temp increase and everything at stock, i cannot wait to get the cooler to see what it can do.
    The bios seems to have all the settings for just about everything, but i have not got into it much yet until i get a new heatsink.

6. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

I've had my P9X79 Pro since launch after making the terrible decision of going with Gigabyte firstly. Awesome board, probably the best I've owned since P4P800 back in the day :)

If your budget will stretch go with the Rampage though, it's a no brainer.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-488-AS

7. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I really want the Rampage however if I have to get a cheaper board then it won't be an Asus board, due to recent issues I have had with them on my current and previous board.

I am also tempted with the MSI Big Bang Xpower II board as well.

8. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

9. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

That overclock is nuts!!!

Did you have a external rad for that setup as I cannot remember, or was it a internal rad?

10. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

11. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

You're unlikely to get any issues with the ASUS board, plus MSI doesn't have offset voltages.

I went through a handful of boards before sticking with this one...just saying:thumb:

12. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Well as I am planning on a Corsair Obsidian 900D, I am hoping that I will be able to fit a 480x60mm rad in the roof with push/pull and then a 240x60mm in the front for the cpu and board, then after that I am hoping to fit a 480x60mm and a 360/240x60mm for the gpu's in the bottom.

That cooling though could change but it depends on how my current cooling setup copes with the 3930k, which is currently a 360x60mm + 240x60mm rad's although I could potentially swap the 360 for a 360x80mm rad.

Cooling may seem insane but I hate high temp's, with no noise so I would rather add more rads with low speed fans for good temps with no noise.

So many plans with so little money :)

13. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Just been looking on E-Bay at the board to see if anyone is selling one without knowing what they have, as that sometimes happens.

Came across 1 company selling the Rampage IV Extreme which is apparently brand new and unopened for £260 with free delivery, so I have sent them a message to see if it's correct but not sure if I am willing to drop £260 on it but it would save me around £90.

14. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Right I will be upgrading on Saturday this week to a Sandy Bridge E based setup FINALLY!!!!! :D

Here is what I will be getting and it's gonna cost £950 as I need to change the tubing and coolant for my watercooling setup, I also need a cheap psu for the server I am going to build that will be using the 2500K, MSI P67 board, and 8Gb Corsair 1600mhz ram that will be pulled from my dads pc as he, will be getting my board, chip and ram that is in my pc at the moment.

I have looked at the ram and whilst I could get 16Gb of Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz CL8 for £112 at the moment, I can get away with only 8Gb of 1600mhz CL9 stuff until later in the year when I can upgrade that to some Corsair Dominator stuff.

I also cannot find the mounting kit for my waterblock so I am just gonna buy a new kit for only £10.

https://secure.scan.co.uk/aspnet/Shop/SavedBasket/Show.aspx?id=aa5d739d4eb54476953652f4fa314d74

15. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

It's gonna be a class build!

16. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

17. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

The psu is going to be used in a small server which will only have a few hdds in it.

When I turn the server in to the server I have planned then I will get a much better one.

The reason for the price though is simply because if I go for a higher priced one at the moment I will need to go for a cheaper board, as I need to leave some money in my bank in case I get any surveys in Manchester city centre where parking can be up to £6 for 2 hours :jawdrop:

18. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Save your money and go X99 when it is released in a few months. Seems daft to invest in X79 now.

19. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I am really bad at saving money so I would just end up spending it before it was released.

20. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

I've been following this thread with interest. Should be a very nice rig. Be sure to post pics of your build :thumb:

The problem with waiting is that my research indicates that the release date is qtr2, which means it could be as late as June. If your not a serial upgrader this build should last you a few years, in which case the X99 would be out of date anyway.