1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by jrs77, 24 Jan 2013.

1. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Last edited: 8 Jan 2018
  2. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

I am now 34 and find i do play less and less, however i don't have another hobby at the moment and not sure what i would do

I would love to be able to edit videos of gaming to make montages but i don't have a clue where to start.

I do find the urge to play now and again and enjoy it when i do, so that is the only reason i would keep my rig as a full PC, you never know when you might get the urge to get back into it, maybe a new title release?

Hope the guitar lessons come along, i have one but i don't have patience :lol:

3. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

You don't need lessons, keep doing what you are doing and you will get there!

4. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

I'm 22 and I'm either mostly burnt out or the games market has become a little stale.

Recent games I'm playing and enjoying:

Borderlands 1 & 2, because they do something different and it's fun.

Civ 5, because it takes a bit of thinking to play well.

5. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

That would be my guess. Nothing new interests me and I find myself going back to mods for older games to stay interested.

Is there anything left to throw into new games or have they exhausted all ideas?

6. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Wait to see what happens when CoD is removed and they actually try new ideas. Will spice up then.

It's not a case of they're out of story ideas, look at TV programs like Eastenders, that's been going 30+ years, they're still writing new stories.

7. Strudul

Strudul ~

Well I'm only 18 and I tend to get bored of games now.

Just playing them is very rarely fun any more, I have to set goals / challenges in order to have a reason to play :/

8. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I think it's not due to age.
    - You either have no time for games.
    - You feel that you need to take a break and do something else.
    - Games are stale.
    - You are tired of playing the genre of the game you usually play, but due to a lack of experience in other genre you don't know how fun they can be.

I think a big part of what is happening is in the past recent years, games become stale, and now VERY stale. When people get really existed about a remake of a not so old game, that should tell you how stale the market is. This is why I believe console like the OUYA and Nvidia Project Shield gets high interest from people. As it opens door for creativity from game developers, and not large corporation which forces games form developer to be FPS.. Call of Duty FPS style games.

9. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I only really play games with my friends these days, and from what I can tell, that NEVER gets dull.

10. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

I think MMO gaming has something to do with draining the fun out of regular games. I used to play regular games like crazy until I got way into City of Heroes and it gradually eroded my interest in regular console gaming due to the sheer amount of my free time that it consumed. Then once CoH got stale (and since died) my interest in other games hasn't come back. It doesn't help that most of my gaming was dominated by the PC and I don't often get the hot new properties like Gears, Halo, etc.

Money is definitely a factor also. I just can't afford to drop $60 on a new game, but Steam sales provide massive discounts that make it possible for me to buy and play games without having to worry about spending my meager disposable income.

I tend to find one or two games and focus on them intensely as opposed to playing everything like I used to do. Right now my main crutches are Skyrim and Borderlands 2. I tend to play BF3 for short spurts now and then also, but that's about it.

I think once the next console generation gets rolling I may get engaged again. I'm 28, btw.

11. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I'm 21, and I go through phases, since coming to uni and becoming friends with people who are really into games, I've definitely started gaming more than I used to, and have made great friends through it as a result :)

However for most games I'm still very temperamental, in that I'll play a game loads, almost obsessively for a while, then won't play it for ages, then will come back to it eventually (maybe) kinda thing.
    Only game that breaks that trend is TF2, which I've really got into, and is the main game I play now.

In the end, I wouldn't worry, just try other things and who knows, you might come back to gaming sooner rather than later, either playing an older game or finding a new one which tickles your fancy :)

12. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Fundamentally, we crave new experiences, to one extent or an other.

Windows movie maker + some appropriately copyright licensed music + some footage = simple montage. The issue is mostly watching it all back rather than making it :( (for me at least), but is nice just to chill out and go, "**** yeah that 3 seconds was awesome, the last 5 mins of pain dosn't matter anymore." Have you recorded anything yet? If not I could give you some links to my secret footage I've uploaded, see if it inspires you.

13. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Now at 40, ohh dear. The last NEW game for me was Portal, everything else over the last ten years has been a rehash of what's come before.
    That said, I'll still boot up the PC for a few rounds of CS (GO) every now and then, just finding he time is difficult.

14. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

This! I've never had a lesson and can pull off stuff from which I can sit back and think '**** yeah, that was awesome!'. Decide exactly why you're playing, for a band or just for your own enjoyment. I play for my own enjoyment and it gives me a much higher sense of satisfaction when I do nail something down perfectly.....then you have the fun of playing around with it your own way :thumb:

Gaming side I feel the same sometimes but that's purely because I go through phases of what games I'll play. There will be seomthing that'll grab your attention, it's just a case of finding out what, which is tricky at times. Maybe just try something completely different (or even just similar but deeper), you said you liked C+C and Civ back in the day, give Anno a try ;) (either 1404 or 2070 but i think 2070 has a bit more to offer)

15. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Well, I am 25 and have been a Console and now PC gamer since well Sega Master System. It has been one of my go to hobbies for many years and owning an expensive PC has also brought me hundreds of hours of enjoyment. Not that it's all I do.

But for the most part I can't play single player games for any long period of time. Hell even when I do I am usually on Mumble chatting etc

Simply because I enjoy the MP aspect, just broke 800 hours in Battlefield 3. And some of the most fun times have been with friends. Hell whether we are winning or loosing still fun.

I don't think I will ever grow out of games, ask MarkCUK he's in his forties I think, and his son Dannyman191 also game with us.

16. freshsandwiches

freshsandwiches Can I do science to it?

I'm tailing back on my gaming too. I'm 33 and I like to try different games. There are only a few that I stick with though. I've got a job that takes all my focus, games are a nice escape and that's probably why I still play them. Definitely a casual PC gamer now.

Coincidently, I've just picked my guitar up again. I'm going for group lessons though. One on one is too expensive, but I think I need to be shown. Everyone learns differently.

I'd be interested in any you tube videos fellow learners are using.

17. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

I started playing far cry 3 the other day and couldn't stay into it because i kept thinking "i've got better things to do"

18. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I will say the reason I spend so much time gaming or online is because I spent this past year unemployed, a few months work here and there and nothing much else. I currently work sixteen hours a week. And being single I don't do much else.

I do need something or someone to distract me and make me unplug but there is nothing at the moment.

I also enjoy making videos for youtube of the gameplay etc so that's something more than just gaming I guess.

19. hugo60

hugo60 What's a Dremel?

Have you considered League of Legends or Dota 2? LoL wasn't really my thing but i'm just getting into Dota 2 and it's really enjoyable. There's a huge amount of replay-ability because there is so much depth that every game plays out differently.

I guess if you are looking for something to play casually it might not be a good idea because they are pretty daunting to get into, but the matchmaking seems to do a good job of putting you with others at your skill level. Might be worth a shot if it's something you haven't tried before.

20. hugo60

hugo60 What's a Dremel?

That is what partly put me off League. Dota 2 doesn't have this though. The only items in the cash shop are cosmetic and a lot of them you can get for free as random rewards after games anyway(AFAIK). I didn't expect to like it at all when I used to hear about friends playing it, but after looking into it I changed my mind completely.

There are loads of free keys about atm so it couldn't hurt to try it? Just make sure you watch/read a few tutorials before you play if you decide to :lol: PM me if you want a key.