1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling 95c from new cooler :/

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Deders, 7 Apr 2014.

1. Deders

Deders Modder

I've just invested in an Arctic Cooling i30 to replace my Thermaltake Contac 29 cooler, but after installing it 4 times I'm still getting temperatures over 95c with Prime95.

The i30 is supposed to be able to handle 320W and has 4 heatpipes instead of the 3 the Contac 29 had. I was previously getting around 60c with my sig rig, but the fan sounded like it was starting to go and at one point wasn't giving full RPM's so I thought it was time for an upgrade.

I've tried using a card to get a flat thin layer of MX4 on the CPU, I've also tried a thin line on each of the heatpipes but for some reason core 4 always shoots up to 95c.

They are all around 30c when idle.

I can't feel the heatpipes getting hot but the air behind the cooler is slightly warm.

The CPU is definitely making contact with the heatpipes as I can see the imprint when I take it off.

What do people think? Is it a faulty cooler? or maybe it doesn't work as well with 1156?

2. sniperdude

sniperdude Minimodder

Hate these direct heatpipe contact coolers

are you saying its only core 4 thats reaching 95? if so it could be either one of these pipes isnt making good contact or you have a faulty temp sensor.

3. Deders

Deders Modder

All 4 cores were quite even with my old cooler, about 3 degrees between all of them.

Currently core's 1 and 3 are in the 70's, 2 is above 80 and 4 is hitting 98 causing the CPU to clock down.

4. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Can you post a photo of the TIM pattern of the CPU and cooler?

5. Deders

Deders Modder

It looked absolutely perfect when I used the card method. The entire IHS was covered with a thin layer and the imprint of the heatpipes was the same size as the IHS. It looked very neat and even even after the heatsink came off.

Not sure what it is going to look like now i have done the line on each heatpipe method as per the instructions but the result is pretty much the same.

6. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

strange, i had terrible temps when i didn't mount my cpu cooler properly (it was in place but it was barely touching the surface of the cpu), can you try pressing down on the cooler and see if temps get any better ? maybe somehow you didn't mount it properly/not tight enough.

7. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

There is no possible way that cooler can dissipate 320W of heat. Just sayin'.

You'd probably be lucky to get 3.6 out of that chip and that cooler, voltage dependent, of course.

8. megadriveguy

megadriveguy Minimodder

I have an i30 on a I7 860 temps are fine

Part of the base of the i30 must not be making contact You've either mounted it wrong or its been machined unevenly

9. Deders

Deders Modder

Which spacers did you use on your 860? The plastic or the metal?

Also could you give me an idea of what kind of temps I should expect and what clockspeed/voltages that would be at?

Also which motherboard are you using?

Last edited: 7 Apr 2014
  10. megadriveguy

megadriveguy Minimodder

The 860 is at stock speeds and auto volts think it turbos to 3.3 or something like that, temps are fine I think they stay in the 60's, though I'm using a different fan as I found the stock one to be a bit loud

I remember using plastic spacers that had sticky tape on the bottom of them

11. donok

donok Every Little Helps .....

i just put a h80 on my intel G2020 this weekend and I have a 8-10 degree difference on cores. but overall the temps are lower but also silent on lowest setting.

12. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

I am thinking faulty cooler, surface contamination or something CPU related broke/shorted.

Faulty cooler: Spin the cooler round 180* if the mountings allow. That way if there's a faulty pipe it should start affecting another core instead.

Surface contamination. Review what you used to clean the old TIM off and prep the surface for the new TIM and cooler.

Fault. This is a long stretch but covering all that I can think of at the moment. Maybe you have got some of the old/new TIM on the motherboard or CPU contacts if you took it off. This might be causing a short somewhere and giving readings that are off.

13. Deders

Deders Modder

Old cooler back on:

[​IMG]

Such a shame the fan is about to go. Was looking at Be Quiet PWM fans but they don't have the right mount holes, then need to be like normal case fan mounts so they can fit the rubber mounts that look like this:

[​IMG]

Can anyone suggest a decent quiet PWM fan with at least decent airflow and static pressure but low noise?