1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Painting plastic.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Vault-Tec, 18 Jul 2016.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

OK guys I am probably over thinking this but due to disasters in the past I am quite wary about it. Basically I have made and prepped a whole load of acrylic and perspex pieces and I am now almost at the stage when I paint them.

Can some one who has done this before please tell me what products you used?

Also, what is the best primer you can get in a rattle can? I don't like Simoniz it's too watery and thin and sets more like chalk than solid primer.

Also, I am assuming I can use pre paint without damaging the plastic or causing a reaction because it will be covered in paint right? but what should I use on the bare plastic? just a tack cloth?

Thanks. V-T

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

SEM self-etching primer. No experience here with anything else on plexi.
    -and I'd swear I just told you that elsewhere.:p

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Sorry dude, brain fart. I found a guide earlier that reckons you don't even need to prime plastic. I cry BS. Any way, I will be buying some tack cloths and isoprop at some point and will test the sealer first on all types of plastic before proceeding :)

4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Use mineral spirits on plexiglas. Alcohols can make them craze/crack if they've been stressed.

5. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

After sanding acrylic or plastic, I'll give it a water rinse, blow it off with a compressor, then tack cloth it. I worry about chemicals on plastic since I melted a case with adhesive remover.

Prime everything. Depending on what I have at hand, I usually use an automotive grade flexible primer since acrylic can have some flex. Usually Nason since my local auto parts store stocks it. If no flexible primer, then self-etching primer. It's probably just me, but I have no luck with SEM.