1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Lazer cutting service?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Vault-Tec, 18 Aug 2016.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I need a small badge cut out of 5mm acrylic (or 3mm, doesn't matter too much). Does any one know of a place that will do this without me having to sell a kidney?

It's very simple really, shouldn't take long.

2. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

It will depend upon your location.

Serving North America: I have used the two following services and do recommend them:
    • eMachine Shop Might need half a kidney, but offer extensive services not just cutting.
    • Big Blue Saw You should be able to keep your kidneys, offers laser and water cutting services.

3. neilhart

neilhart What's a Dremel?

Try the Laser Hive if you are in the UK. See http://www.thelaserhive.com/

Good modding,
    neil

4. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

If you can wait a little while, there are University students who could do it for you in their labs most likely!

5. Vault-Tec

Thanks guys. Any more suggestions? I have a bit of an unusual request haha.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Have you checked to see if there's a laser-equipped hackspace/makerspace near you?

7. Vault-Tec

I've no idea what that is so no lol.

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hackerspace

There are hackspaces (or hackerspaces) all over the world. My nearest is Leeds Hackspace, which has a laser cutter for member's use. You can either join, get trained on the laser cutter (which is a quick thing basically telling you not to be on fire), and then use it for a small time-based fee, or you can ask an existing member with training nicely to do it for you. Most hackspaces have free open days or evenings, so it costs you nowt to go and see. The facilities available vary greatly, but most larger hackspaces will have laser cutters, 3D printers, pillar drills and the like. Some may even have CNC mills or plasma cutters.

EDIT: In fact, here's Leeds Hackspace's laser cutter in action. Took that shot a couple of years ago for a feature I wrote for Custom PC.

[​IMG]Leeds Hackspace - Laser Cutter by Gareth Halfacree, on Flickr

9. Vault-Tec

Thanks Gareth. I will weigh up my options later, once all of the spade work has been done :)

10. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

I've got 3mm in various colours (not 100% sure what colours though) if you want to send over what it is you need cutting, I'll see if I can get it cut next week for you.

11. matthewrblack

matthewrblack What's a Dremel?

Post up a wee image of what you need and I'm sure ill be able to take care of it for you.

12. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I'll second that Hackerspace recommendation. I joined one a few weeks ago and so far I've done my 3d printing induction and have laser cutting booked for this Friday.

It's a great place with lots of interesting people (both hobbyists and entrepreneurs) making lots of cool and clever stuff. I thought I might be bored waiting for my designs to print but not a chance, there's always something interesting going on.

13. Vault-Tec

Thanks for the very generous offers guys. I apologise, I totally forgot all about this thread. I don't need anything done now but thanks for the kind offers :)

I really must work on my memory lol.