1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other On my way to the US (east coast), need some tips.

Discussion in 'General' started by antiHero, 18 May 2011.

1. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

Me and my girlfriend are on our way to the US in 2 weeks for a holiday and I was thinking about asking you guys for tips on what todo / to see when we are there.
    We are flying to Boston, then NYC and then DC from where we fly back home.
    Plans so far include Baseball in Boston, Empire State in NYC and Capitol Hill in DC. We are going by bus from city to city with ether Peter Pan or Greyhound.

Anyone has any hidden gems in those cities, or just a good restaurant we should try?

Thanks a lot!

2. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Boston: Defiantly go to the Commons and see the famous sculpture of the ducks. Also, go to Faneuil Hall and look for a burrito stand run by the Herrara Brothers. Best Burrito on the East coast. If you can't find the little stand, they do have a place in the Back Bay. Avoid "Cheers", trust me on this, you aren't missing anything. In fact, I would say stay away from faneuil all together when it comes to food and drink. If you have to eat there, look at the Black Rose. Do walk to the corner of State Street and Devonshire, and see the exact spot of the Boston Massacre. It's basically a manhole cover in the middle of the road, but worth seeing due to the history.

I also recommend heading into Cambridge and checking out the MIT and Harvard campuses. Look for a place called "Craigie on Main". I was a chef at "Craige Street Bistro" before it moved from Craige Street to Main Street. Tony Maws, the Chef owner, is awsome and the new location is quite spiffy; you'll need reservations. If you are looking for a good Boston pub, try the "Plough and Stars" on Mass Ave. For kicks also try the "people's republic" on Mass Ave. It's a landmark and I used to live literally next door to it. Another Cambridge landmark is the "Cantab Lounge" with good burgers and live music. Not sure if they are still open though. Another long time classic in Harvard square is "Charlie's Kitchen". Kind a greasy spoon, but try the lobster roll. it's a Boston classic. Charlie's is where my wife and I used to have long deep talks because it's so loud that no one can hear you, so lot's of good memories. And the People's Republik is where we decided to move to Lebanon, and the bar tender turned out to be some weird guy who drove a Beirut taxi in the 80's. I doubt he's still there though. I used to go there during the days and play darts when it was empty.

Make a point of going to the North End, stopping to see Bunker Hill. "Figs" is there, one of Todd English's places everyone raves about, but the man is an ass; so I wouldn't recommend it. But there are tons of little places there, great for a coffee and getting to know the place. I'm wracking my brain to remember the name of a pizza place there, it was awesome. FYI, the North End is very Italian if you know what I mean. Be polite and don't spit on the streets. I watched 'neighborhood' guys make a tourist clean up his spittle with his bare hands down a side street. It's clean and safe mind you, just remember the whole place is 'run'.

The Back Bay is another great place to wander, especially along the Charles river on Starrow drive. Just follow beacon street east off the common or the Comm Ave mall.

If you are on the Common, find Emerson College and head east a few meters on Boylston, to a place called "troquet". It's has a great wine list and crazy cheeses. IIRC, on tuesdays they find all the one off wines that are left over and off the menu, put them on a table as you walk in and mark them down something ridiculous. We were paying $20-30 for wines that were from the '80s and easily worth 100 times what we were paying. I got some great steals there. It's on the south side of the Commons. If you go to the north side, there is a place called "#9 Park". I'm not sure what your budget is like, but Barbra is a world class Chef and between her and Tony of "Craigie on Main" you'll be eating some of the best food in the US, no joke. Tony's place is cheaper and it's dear to my heart, so I would steer you there. Between Boyltson and Beacon, there is Newbury street, known for it's High Street Shopping. Pricey, but well worth a wander. If you are into oysters, you might want to try B&G Oysters. It's an old school oyster bar and has a good menu.

And you *have* to go to China Town. It's the oldest China Town (walk west on Boylston to Essex) in the US and well worth popping into the various stores and restaurants to see what is in the fish tanks (you get to pick your fish). Try the salt and pepper prawns IIRC at Peach Farm, although places in China Town are always opening and closing.

I should have asked how long you have in Boston, now that I think of it. There is an aquarium that is worth seeing, IMO. And along that stretch there is also whale watching boats. Across the pier is the USS Constitution, if you are into old historic boats. Do not eat at Legal Seafoods, it's over priced and a tourist mecca. If you want real New England seafood, make the trek out to Jasper White's Summer Shack. No frills, but great seafood from an crazy chef who gave up all the awards and kudos to open a place he really wanted. Cold cheap beer and a bag of prawns is something I have dreams about for the last 8 years.

If you want to really see a hidden gem, the go to The Ware Collection and see the hand blown glass flowers for the botanical exhibit. It's unique and well worth seeing if you like biology and glass blowing. This is, for me, the number one thing to recommend to people due to it's rare nature and the fact that so few people know about it. If art is your thing, there is the Museum of fine art, the Museum of Bad art, and the Gardner. Of the 3 I would tell you to see the Gardner, since it is most unique to Boston's history. It can be a tad eclectic, depending on your tastes.

Last edited: 18 May 2011
    antiHero likes this.
  3. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Top of the rock is better than the empire state. There have been a couple of threads about what to see in NYC before so you may find some useful tips in there!

antiHero likes this.
  4. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

Last edited: 18 May 2011
    antiHero likes this.
  5. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

If you like food that's a bit different, when you're in New York, try the Great Jones Cafe on Great Jones Street between Bowery & Lafayette (that's downtown and east of Broadway. Subway stations are close by.).

It's a great little Cajun restaurant that does great brunch as well as great dinner. It's quite small, so don't be surprised if you find yourself sharing a table! Great atmosphere, great food. What more do you want?

Usually, we tend to ask the receptionists at the hotel what's good to do - tell them you want to do something a little different, and ask for their personal non-touristy recommendations. We've found some great places like that!

antiHero likes this.
  6. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

Dude thanks a lot! We are anly for 4 days in Boston so we cant even do half of that stuff. But the Seasfood suggestions are great, my Gf is really into that stuff, sadlly I am allergic.

+rep

7. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

Top of the Rock is already on our list for NYC. Thanks

Would love to go there, have to check with the misses though :(

Will have to try that, our hotel is 2 blocks awat from Grand Central so its not too far

Have some Rep guys!

8. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

In NYC, go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Starting on the first floor, they have amazing antiquities working up to their armor and weapons collections. It was amazing. Unfortunately, we never made it through the rest of the museum! The Statue of Liberty and Liberty Island are pretty cool, you take a boat ride over. The photographs and displays of the monument being built were memorable. Seeing Times Square was kind of fun too. If you can, see a Broadway show.

Have a great time!

9. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Check out the air and space museum in DC but don't forget to drive a little further out to Chantilly, VA and check out the Stephen F. Udvar-HAzy Center - they have stuff the main museum in DC doesnt - like a Space Shuttle (Enterprise is there now, Discovery will replace her soon), SR-71 Blackbird, F-14, Boeing Dash 80 (only one of its kind in the world), BAC-Aerospatiale Concorde and a host of other awesomeness.

Also, an IMAX theater for plane-related awesomeness.

The monumental core in DC is basically all I found nice. I'm a bit of a museum junkie.

There's a spy museum in DC that's fun, along with the Holocaust Museum if you like depressing exhibits (I was nearly in tears by the time I left).