1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware AMD Phenom X4 9850, 9750 and 9550

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 11 Apr 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Quality review as expected of bit-tech. I like how you coloured the bar graphs. Much easier to follow, I find. Having said that, it would be nice if you guys inserted the truncated processor titles inside the bars on page 9's "composite scores"; there's sufficient space for that. And the colour key seems to be off for that chart as well :confused:
    Anyway, I've been anticipating the arrival of these chips for a little while, as a try-and-see alternative to the Q6600.

and.... it's got a turbo! FFFFFRRRRRrrrooooo... PSSHHHHHTCH~!!

Last edited: 11 Apr 2008
  3. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Where are the Nvidia chipset with SLI support, i've been waiting bloody ages.

4. Leitchy

Leitchy Minimodder

I love you

5. Hg

Hg The game known as life

I have just made the move from AMD to Intel for the first time in my life, as AMD have had alot of bad press these days and there chips dont seem to be able to match any core 2 in the same price bracket.
    I purchused a Q9450 and boy its fast and overclocking it is a dream, I just hope AMDs next gen processors will change offer a bit more, as the Core 2 is so good atm and untill AMD go back to the drawing board, they wont have anything that can touch Intel

6. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Great Article Bindi.
    One thing - Last page, 2nd Paragraph. Shouldn't that be "Unobtainable"?

Looks like AMD are slowly coming back to the market. Sure, they were never really out of it, what with the K8's being such good value for money, but now they're a real viable alternative to intel instead of being the budget boys.

7. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

hope you have an overclocking article up soon, half tempted to get one, might have to start looking at am2+ motherboards

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I can't see myself doing an overclocking article soon sorry.

9. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

All the "black beauty" worshipping aside, the E8500 is still the best bang for the bucks. It is such a bang that they are out of stock everywhere. All those Phenoms taking dust at the shopshelfs and then saying they are "more available then Intel procs" is a joke. IT only proves that they are not wanted. I say let them have a 25% lower pricetag and maybe then we see some less dusty phenom boxes on the shopshelfs.

And no, I am not a Intel fanboy, all 939 AMD x2's in my house.

10. Jar of Almonds

Jar of Almonds What's a Dremel?

Great article! Have you tried using the 1002 BIOS for the ASUS M3A32-MVP? It is supposed to add greater support for the B3's.... how it does that I don't know, just going by what ASUS described.

11. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

I'll re-read this review as a get home later today, but it seems an excellent read and I've just skimmed it quickly.

I got my own Phenom 9850 the other day - it lived for 12 hours and I have no idea what killed it.
    But I'm starting to suspect that my DFI NF590-SLI is the perpetrator, even though DFI's website states that with the latest bios Phenoms are fully supported on this board. Strange.

My dead Phenom is now on its way to be replaced. Hopefully the new one will live and let me play with it a lot. Cooling, at least, is not something I'm worried about. :D

Last edited: 11 Apr 2008
  12. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

not even a set of results? (what i ment but i wasnt vey clear)

13. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

So the Phenoms are KINDA viable choice for people looking for a quad. And after all they seem to shine on synthetical benchmarks :rolleyes: If only they were atleast on par in power consumption and wouldn't suck so tremendously on the overclocking side of things...

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I might do and I'd love to (I see the value in one), but I've just got soooo much work on at the moment I'm working to catch up. We'd rather spend time getting whole articles better, than many half assed.

If I was going to do one I'd do a 9850E, Q6600 G0 and E8400 overclocking together.

We appreciate the kind comments from you all too! :):):) It's making a happier what was otherwise crap and frustrating Friday (Yay for Nvidia 790i Ultra SLI)

15. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

My 9500 sucked massively so I'm going to look into a 9850 BE.

16. stoff3r

stoff3r What's a Dremel?

as every person on earth will want to run the intel q6600 on 333x9 speeds i think it would be interesting to see how it compares with the rest. you allways say it's the clocks that matter, and i really think the q6600 would outperform the lot if it's true potential is used.

17. Matticus

Matticus ...

Thank god I went for the e8200 and clocked it to 3.4ghz instead of going for a phenom based system. I only use my PC for work, games and some coding, so I think I would be in tears right now if I had bought the phenom over my wolfdale.

Its pretty disapointing that AMD dont seem to be competing, although intel seem to still be pushing forward and they arent charging stupid amounts, so maybe they dont need any real competition to just plod along nicely.

18. wiak

wiak What's a Dremel?

19. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

(Beware of a poor pun)

Well that's a phenomenal OC for a Phenom. If only they usually did that. Or even 3 GHz for that matter.

20. Goty

Goty Minimodder

I think the problem for AMD right not is that their 65nm process simply isn't that good. It's certainly nowhere near as bad as Intel's was during the Preshott era, but it still leaks too much current and it simply doesn't provide for the high clockspeeds that AMD needs with the K10 architecture.

Tags: Add Tags