1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Dear EA, take a running jump!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Gunsmith, 15 Jun 2011.

1. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

facepalming from low orbit in 3...2...1...

EA have pulled Crysis 2 off steam and are now labeling it as "Origin Only" gee thats really going to help origin compete against steam. why dont you try offer a better deal instead of hoarding games like a tight fisted ****, try it with BF3 I ****ing dare you.

discuss

2. Randomeclipse

Randomeclipse Minimodder

I sense much anger in this one.

3. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

*Googles what Origin is*

Yep, EA are arses. If they do that to BF3 they can say goodbye to a tonne of sales.

4. Randomeclipse

Randomeclipse Minimodder

Don't feel like you're the only one though, they are intent on screwing Warhammer Online over too.

5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

so what about those that already bought it on steam? do you have to re download it from EA? refund? [i'm not one of them but still curious]

things like this always puzzle me, why [deliberately] limit your potential audience like that?

They've been screwing it over from the moment they got their hands on it [and Mythic, the studio working on it]. From what i hear Bioware have done a decent job of salvaging the mess but it's still a bit of a mess.

6. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Hmm, what other games have been pulled from Steam? Stalin vs Martians, APB... that's not a fortunate group to belong to. Well at least it doesn't affect current customers.

7. Randomeclipse

Randomeclipse Minimodder

It's still the best PvP in any MMO currently out though, so until something better comes out they'll have my subscription.

8. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

To add insult to injury, Origin (Systems) used to be a fantastic games development studio that produced some of the finest games and minds in what I consider the golden era of the PC games industry.

To think that EA have taken the trademark and turned it into this is saddening. :(

I don't fancy the notion of installing some sort of shitty EA downloader client to get decent deals on EA titles. It took valve years to get Steam right, but get it right they did. The real problem here is that competition for Steam should be good news for consumers, but when they pull idiotic stunts like game exclusivity the only worthy responses are a disappointed facepalm or something along the lines of Gunsmith's approach.

9. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Well, at least those of us with Crysis 2 on Steam can still play. I guess this means BF3 won't be coming to Steam either.

Utterly inexcusable. This is a complete dick move, right up there with Nvidia disabling PhysX if an AMD/ATI card is present.

I'd say I'd boycott the store, but Mass Effect 3 is just too damn important to me to miss. Sorry guys :( .

10. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

i'll always remember thier slogan "we create worlds"

i ****ing loved the Crusader universe.

11. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Or just buy it retail.

Origin is doomed to fail anyway, so this is pretty much a last ditch move by EA to get a bigger slice of the profits from their games. They had a DD service before this and it failed against the likes of Steam, so I don't see why changing the name and pulling games from Steam would do anything except create bad PR (EA games were only added to Steam fairly recently, probably when they realised how much money they were losing by not having them on there).

The problem is very few people are willing to put up with multiple game clients on their systems, and having to change between them just to play a different game is a pain in the arse. When Steam does it so well, why would people use anything else? Even if something else came along that was better than Origin, would people really migrate over to it given how much of a head start Steam has?

12. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Origin is one of the worst bits of software i've had the misfortune to need.
    When my HDD crashed on me, i lost several game installers for games that i originally downloaded with EADM. The big tick box in Origin that says 'keep game installers' does sod all. Grrrr, i want EADM back!!!!

Sam

13. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Same here. :) Origin, Looking Glass, iD, Apogee - Those companies defined my childhood.

The Crusader games remain one of my absolute favourite action series of all time. Their gameplay still stands up today and those detailed 2D visuals still look great, along with a timeless soundtrack.
    http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/crusader_no_remorse ;)

14. Pieface

Pieface Modder

When Origin fails, I bet EA won't replace your game, so more money for them.

15. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

*SHARP INTAKE OF BREATH*

i didnt know gog had Crusader! ****ING BUYING!

16. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

I had Dead Space 2 installed via EADM. Upgraded to Origin and looked at my games tab and DS 2 shows as ready to download. I then pointed Origin to the download location EADM was pointed at. Still no joy. In the end I had to redownload and delete the original installation. the redownload wasn't an enjoyable process either. It would get to like 50% then I would shutdown the machine as I was going out. Next time I logged into Origin it was at 16%. This went on for a few attempts before I finally managed to get it downloaded.

If BF3 doesn't come to steam I'll be buying a retail box.

17. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

:hehe:

GOG recently secured EA's back-catalogue, so as much as it sucks to be giving money to EA despite them acting like dicks with Origin, some of those old games are just too ****ing good to pass up at GOG prices with extras and no DRM.
    Mind you, No Remorse only has the manual listed in its extras at the moment, but if like me you love the soundtrack you can just grab the .mod files from the game's directory and export mp3/ogg/whatever using a modtrack player. :)

I still have my big-box editions of No Remorse and No Regret bundled together. Bought them the same day as Syndicate Wars years ago in a toy store that somehow had a load of old PC games that it apparently never shifted. Always regretted not grabbing a few of the other games that were there, but I was a broke teenager at the time.

[/offtopic]

18. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

seeing as pre order is not currently on steam but is using origin for BF3 id say its likely to not be on steam.

19. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

Yep this seems like a move leading up to that particular piece of news, cheers EA you retards.

Retail box for me too then, was looking forward to having the nice easy steam install of this game (even if it was more expensive) but looks unlikely.

20. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

while i understand peoples anger at EA pulling crysis 2 from steam. Steam unless its in the sale or an odd exception its a big ****ing rip-off

oo look £39.99 for game that i can buy off play, amazon etc for £24.99

i love steam as a system but "Normal prices" are massively inflated over retail copies most of the time

example ive just bought shogun 2 for my brother from amazon (limited edition one too) for £20 but the normal edition is £29.99 on steam plus i dont get the physical disc, manual box etc etc

so tell me why do steam charge over the odds for less ?

G0UDG likes this.