1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD launches new G-Series family, hints at future ARM chips

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 23 Apr 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

I'd like to see AMD use this to compete with Intel's NUC systems.

I don't know why Zotac with all their tiny systems hasn't made a more powerful AMD based one. I'd make my own but FM2 ITX boards are extremely rare (Isn't the compact, integrated, format the point of these?) and I haven't yet seen any with msata.

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

I wish AMD the best with this platform, it actually sounds realistic, and I like the fact that they're giving Linux attention. I just hope that these are actual dual cores, not single-cores with 2 modules (same goes for the quad core). AMD should do the same for their FX-4XXX series - I'm sure it'd get a noticeable performance improvement if it were 4 physical cores rather than 2 cores per module.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It's already possible to buy a last-generation G-series-based development board on the open market: the Gizmo. I've got a couple here: very compact, surprisingly powerful (about 1/20th the single-core performance of my A10-5800K, or 5x the performance of a Raspberry Pi, using the SysBench CPU benchmark and ignoring the GPU) and includes one on-board SATA port and another that can be accessed using a "high-speed port" on the edge of the device - but you'll have to build an adapter to get at that one.
    It's Jaguar, which means updated Bobcat - which means the traditional module approach, using two integer units fused to one shared 256-bit FMAC that can operate in 2x128-bit mode as and when required. In other words: if you think AMD's existing processors aren't 'real' dual/quad core parts, then this ain't going to change your mind.

5. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

Can any one say mining. Thats really be the only thing on my mind the last couple of days.

6. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

I remember that from the January (link). That fell a little short and the cost was too high. I'm currently looking at funding this: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/435742530/udoo-android-linux-arduino-in-a-tiny-single-board but that might be a little too DIY for the time I have available.

I'd still like an FM2 ITX (or smaller) board with msata, HDCP HDMI / DisplayPort / DVI, USB3 ...