1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Dell drops online sales of Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 26 Jul 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

I think it's the narrow-mindedness of Dell and companies like them in issues such as this that hold back other operating systems from becoming a proper contender (in terms of market share. I know Unbuntu is very good). The fact they believe Linux is only for open-source programming is just pathetic.

3. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

If they are still available by phone then why are Dell telling people that they no longer offer Ubuntu systems? Three members of my local Linux user group tried to order computers with Ubuntu from Dell over the phone to be told that, and the only option was a machine without Windows. They paid the same price but got some small hardware upgrades.

4. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

Ouch!

Who cares?

5. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Dell can't support Linux properly, instead of training members of staff it's easier to stop selling it (especially as they don't make a profit on the software)

6. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Obviously.=, why would any company want to have to train new staff to deal with queries about linux?

7. JA12

JA12 What's a Dremel?

There, fixed that for you. And Dell don't have to provide customer support. Canonical can do that just fine. It's called collaboration.

Speaking of which.. Dell have made deals with MS concerning Windows Phone 7. And just after that the Ubuntu offerings start to disappear. Coincidence?
    MS offered Windows Phone 7 to HP as well but HP said no thanks. They have that field covered with Linux-based systems. Personally, I would go to HP.

8. crazyceo

HP have actually said yes and will be launching Windows Mobile 7 devices in the Autumn. We all know how commercially bad Linux based products have been to the big players. It wasn't for trying as the masses wanted Windows lookalike and couldn't be arsed to learn Linux based OS.

What's the problem here? If you want a linux based OS then just download and install one!

9. general22

general22 What's a Dremel?

THE YEAR OF LINUX DESKTOP!

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'll believe it when I see it. And I say that as one who uses Linux on all his laptops, desktops, and netbooks both professionally and personally.

11. Toploaded

Toploaded What's a Dremel?

I love Linux, but I'd never expect a company like dell to sink the resources into supporting it. I'm surprised they ever did.

12. Fabou

Fabou What's a Dremel?

That's why ton of people barely using a computer to broswe eb and read mail think they have to pay overpriced windows because it's PC or mac (mac being even more expencive).

13. Singularity

Singularity ******* Operator from Hell

Well that's a dick move. I don't know if it's pressure from Microsoft, or just Dell's not caring about customers, but this makes me sad. True, most linux users are install it themselves, but I do believe that every notebook should be available without an OS. If we don't want to use windows, we don't want to have to pay for it.

14. TheUn4seen

TheUn4seen What's a Dremel?

Because I don't want to pay for something I won't use (MS oem license)? At least Dell offers some notebooks without any OS (but not in every country), too bad Sony won't do the same, as Dell's notebooks aren't really worth the time and money lately (overheating and/or throttling CPUs, poor build quality and so on).

15. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

you can still ring them up and get Ubuntu installed on the system not sure what the issue is

Most users would not buy an linux based system due to issues getting stuff working, even my self tryed it but nothing has changed from 10 years ago when i last used it i can still brake it in less then 1 hr use (norm broken updater that has No self heal so once broken you need to drop to command line and fix it that way that tends to be longer then the a to z)

16. crazyceo

Then don't buy from Dell!

17. Skutbag

Skutbag What's a Dremel?

There should be a non-Windows / free OS option - and as a large supplier to the masses, they should set an example. Yes the option is still there, but this is about awareness in the general public.

18. JA12

JA12 What's a Dremel?

http://www.gadgetvenue.com/hp-windows-phone-7-wont-happen-07241043/

Yes, we all know how commercially bad Linux based products have been to the big players. Big players like Google, IBM, Dell, HP, Cisco? No wait...

19. echeb

echeb What's a Dremel?

i bet this is because of low sales due to NO ADVERTISING WHATSOEVER. did you ever see the word 'ubuntu' on any of the things they put inside papers and magazines? and surprise surprise there is
    "no actual advertising to alert people of the fact that such systems are available if they bother to call up and ask"

ps. "There should be a non-Windows / free OS option" there is, if you are in Britain.
    http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/laptop/range/x10white.html

20. scrimple3D

scrimple3D What's a Dremel?

What if they're being given a cash incentive to drop Linux as an operating system option? Is that a possibility?

Tags: Add Tags