1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Long distance relationship

Discussion in 'General' started by Burnout21, 16 Aug 2010.

1. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

NOT COMING HERE FOR ADVICE

Just thinking how many of you guys in a long distance relationship.

Back in 2006 we started a long distance relationship ( me and the GF) and after a year she moved to Nottingham with me and we lived together for 3 years. I finished uni 3 weeks ago and now 3 weeks into a long distance relationship again. :sigh:

Anyone else feeling ma pain?

2. nemo

nemo Foregone Destruction

yep - I'm in that boat. Thank the gods for skype and cheap travel tickets

3. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Yep. Four years mate, I know how you're feeling.

Nemo says thank god for skype and cheap travel tickets, I say thank god for phone sex and emailed photos...

4. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I refuse to get in that boat. Just say no.

5. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

In some ways, I thought it better than a conventional relationship.

Obviously you have to be confident enough to trust she's not off shagging about but if you're ok with that then it's awesome.

Things don't get monotonous, it's always genuinely lovely to see them and you get time to yourself so no one feels smothered.

I don't think we'd have lasted four months in close proximity let alone four years.

Which is a bit sad now I think of it, way to waste four years!

6. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

There is something to be said for actually having to talk to the other person rather than just being together. I swear some couples I know have never had a serious conversation before they got married!

nemo likes this.
  7. October

October Mariachi Style

I'm gonna be in that boat for over a year come the start of September :grr: I've done it a couple of times before but it started out long-distance the other times, never really lasted too long. This one's different :thumb:

Still gonna suck though...I see her almost every day at the minute, have done for over two years.

8. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Long distance is one sure fire way of ****ing up a relationship. Yeah it can work sometimes, but a lot of the time it does screw things up.

9. nemo

nemo Foregone Destruction

Bejewelled head-to-head ? Farmville co-op ? Would you still respect yourself afterwards ?

Canon likes this.
  10. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Not for me, tried it once, and it didn't work.

What I'm going to do when I leave for Uni in Spet and leave my current gf here, God only knows...

11. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Halfway across the world mate. New Delhi to Los Angeles. Didn't make it past 4 months. :(

I've vowed not to do it again.

12. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

I was 12 hours away from my girlfriend for 4 years. You get to know a lot about a person when you talk on the phone for about an hour every night. I love living with her now, but I don't think it would have been good during university. I probably wouldn't have the job I have now, if we had lived close together.

13. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Well, there's the rub.

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

UK - Taiwan. 1 year apart then I moved out here. Been 4.5 months now and still good. If she+relationship is worth it, you both make the effort imo. I wouldn't consider same country "long distance" imo - it's a train journey or drive away, not a flight :p:p

You've got skype, msn, video calls, postage to send presents and cards.

Burnout21 likes this.
  15. hyder

hyder horrible horrible horrible

I had been going out with my gf for over a year when I moved out to Abu Dhabi it lasted about 5 months after that.

We skyped and all that. She came out here to visit me once and I was back in the UK for a month. But when I found out I was going to be here for the forseeable future I decided that I didnt want to do it anymore. Now that I don't have the burden of having to think about going back to the UK to keep a relationship alive I have been happier out here. Started making more friends and doing stuff rather than sitting in front of a webcam saying how much I miss Glasgow.

I wouldn't want to be in a long distance relationship again - but it depends on how long the distance and for what amount of time.

I'm also with bindibadgi in that its not long distance if you can make it for a weekend by car/train.

16. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Respect.

Also, it wasn't me that wanted to end it. Perhaps it wasn't meant to be to begin with but I really, really loved (or thought I did) her. That's why I don't intend to it again. Once burned, twice shy I guess.

17. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Wow, more of a response than i expected. Currently she's a 3 hour drive away, but no wage packet atm makes fuelling up a tad difficult, so it may aswell be a 30 hour drive. After living with her for 3 years we have become like a married couple, i just didn't want to throw the question properly out there until we had finished uni and earning. We have talked about it and its been a 'yes' every time.

The bad bit is, she has found career based work in Nottingham (Nurse on her current dream ward), so if i want to get back living with her i need to live in the Nottingham area, which i would love, but i too am looking for career based work, so currently looking nation wide! lol!

+1 on phone calls, msn and webcam's, but its well worth travelling once in a while, at least were still stable, and not screaming and getting paranoid at each other, were past that from the last long distance relationship.

Bindi you need rep for awesomeness as usual, that's an epic distance but tbh not living with them sort of null and voids the whole distance problem.

18. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Was feeling ya mate still am to a point. But at least your still in the same country

19. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Feeling your pain with the UAE mate ........ That place has a funny way of messing things up..... I'm guessing you know what i mean

20. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

As a life long expat, and having lived in the UAE for 4 years, I can only pass along what I have learned. Places like that make a good relationship stronger and break a weak one. As who the weak link was....

You have 2 things going for you. One is the time already spent together, which is a big plus. You are well past that getting to know one another/questioning stage. and two is, at least one of you is employed. I know it sounds funny, but having 2 people in limbo puts stresses in places you never imagined.

That being said, it looks like one of you is going to have to make some concessions in the future. If she's happily employed and stable, then she might not want to shift her life to where ever you end up. I'm assuming, that while you are looking though out the UK, your focus is near her?