1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other MKV file causes massive mem usage

Discussion in 'Software' started by noizdaemon666, 6 Nov 2011.

1. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

I have a 1080p MKV file sat in my videos folder. It's 6.3GB, so not exactly excessive. However, problems start when I am merely browsing said folder. Not opening anything, just viewing the files. My memory usage goes from ~30% to 98% in about a minute and stays that way for quite some time.

It also happens if the file is accessed in anyway, be it viewing properties to streaming across my network.

It doesn't overly bother me as I can just play the original Blu-Ray instead, but I'd like to understand why this is happening because it's never happened on any other video file I have.

Oh, this is on my sig rig under W7 64bit if that makes any difference.

Cheers guys :thumb:

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

You mean you have this problem:
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=219934

Easy fix, you installed DivX. Remove all traces of DivX (which is 100% useless, as Windows can already play DivX with a better codec (and 64-bit)), then restart your system, and your all good.

noizdaemon666 likes this.
  3. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

But I don't have DivX installed, I never have :confused: The only thing I've installed video software wise is the shark007 codecs, would this do it?

Edit: Yes, shark007 codecs do cause this apparently. After your advice GoodBytes, I checked to see if the codecs had anything DivX based activated and low and behold, under the MKV tab there's a little tick box that says it'll use the DivX MF splitter to do thumbnails. Disabled it and all is well now :D

Thanks GoodBytes +rep

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Excellent.

Tags: