1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Fed up with home plugs looking at wireless

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CrapBag, 26 Jul 2014.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Everyone in the house is on homeplugs apart from myself as I'm right next to the router but the network keeps dropping out with the homeplugs.

We have fairly decent netgear homeplugs so I don't get why it keeps dropping out.

To start with I'm going to put my wife on to wireless as she doesn't do anything other than browse and email.

Should I buy the latest wireless tech card I can afford or should I just stick to a more standard card, something like a 150mps wireless N card which I already have,

I don't have a latest tech router but what I'm thinking is that I dont want to buy older gear only to end up with a newer router that's maybe not compatible with the older cards.

Are the newer routers backwards compatible?

2. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Yes ac is backwards compatible. It also has the best range currently in general so if you need something to be farther away it may be a better choice for that reason alone. Though, if that isn't really the case and especially if your internet connection is slower than what the real world speeds of about 90mbps you will get from N 150 you can save quite a bit of money probably just going with that all around. Though, at the same time it probably wouldn't cost much more if anything to get at least a dual band N 300.

3. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Were very rural and lucky to get 1mbps to be honest.