1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling What would be needed for CPU/GPU SLI WC loop?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fantus, 16 Jan 2011.

1. Fantus

Fantus Nothing to see here...

I'm looking to build a watercooling loop for an i5 2500K and a pair of GTX460's (Probably 560's by the time I purchase, but the fittings don't exist yet).

I'm basing the loop on this and would like to bring the two GPU's into it as well.
    What I can't figure out, being new to WC'ing, is what parts I need to add in order to do this.

The parts need to be purchased from Scan due to financial considerations, it seems they have everything there (I just don't what everything I need :blush:)

The Mobo will be one of these (It does support SLI, despite what Scans details say ;))

The case will be a Raven RV02 which I'll mod as necessary to fit the Rads, etc.

As I said, the spec will probably change to GTX560's later on, but if someone could kindly show me exactly what I'd need in order to do this, even if it's to design a complete loop without using the kit I linked, that would be massively appreciated. :thumb:

Cheers, Fantus.

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Have a look at my thread :) People have found it useful. Two questions, what's your budget and what case do you have?

Edit: Just had a look at that kit, seems to be fairly nice. Wont be an amazing performer though, as that price worries me. All depends on how much heat the 560's kick out :) If you were to buy the parts you'd be looking at £250-£300 I think, plus another £150 for waterblocks for the 560's...

Last edited: 16 Jan 2011
  3. Fantus

Thanks for the pointers :thumb: reading through your write-up now.
    I did wonder about the overall quality of the kit, I'll have a look at a custom kit then. I could probably stretch to £300 for everything, but I don't know how much that would get me.

Like I said, the case will be a Raven RV02. It can fit a Triple Rad and I'm not wanting 10.5" cards so it'll definitely fit.

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

£300 maybe cutting it fine, I'm not saying it'll be impossible just you'll have to compromise...

5. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

I'm sorry to rain on your parade but 2 x GPU + CPU on a single 360mm rad will be most likely only result in pile of wasted cash. Even with somewhat cool running midrange hardware you're not gonna see any meaningful improvement on load temperatures vs. air, worst case is you'll need seriously powerful fans to cool the rad which will result in increased noise. If there isn't any meaningful gains to be had in temps and/or noise levels for 300£+ investment, why bother in the first place? If you just like tubing you can put a couple of feet of it in your rig for a tenner.

Drop the SLI, get a 580 or equivalent and a case big enough to support properly sized hardware, watercooling isn't a budget hobby anyway so it's better to get used to spending right away.

6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I don't think this is true. I run a CPU which is way hotter and my GPU will be hotter than a 560, my load temps are below 45C for both. Adding a second card would only push it to 55C I reckon.

7. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

Like slowmotionsuicide said why don't you save yourself some cash and just cool the cpu, and if your saying you haven't got the gpu's yet,(think i read that right) why not get 1 or 2 gtx 570's, just because you spend idk £200 on the gpu, another £60-70 on the block if you didn't water cool the 560 you could have afforded a 570 instead. 580 isn't really worth it I'd say(even though i have one) :]

8. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

You're probably looking at dissipating around 300W max for a pair of 460's and maybe up to 200W for an overclocked 2500K. Total heatload around 500W would be dissipated by a Swiftech MCR320 with Scythe GT1850 fans and give you reasonable temps http://skinneelabs.com/swiftech-mcr320.html?page=4

The EK Supreme HF is one of the better CPU blocks with the Swiftech MCR320 rad being excellent 'bang for bucks'. I personally find the EK DCP 4.0 pumps noisy at full speed but they're not bad at lower speeds and are good value for money. Depending on your noise tolerance you may find it acceptable.

A res is useful for bleeding the loop and the Swiftech Microres is reasonably priced but you could save a bit of money and use a T-Line instead.

9. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Swiftech do great kits and a good place to start out from

10. Fantus

Just to clarify; I'm fully aware that WC'ing could be considered overkill with the hardware I'm looking at. The simple fact is, this is the build I want to make. I've never built a machine with a loop in it and I have the opportunity to do it so I'm going to take it.

I was considering adding another 120Rad into the loop to help distribute the temps a bit more, but I don't see it being a massive issue as long as you can give the Rad some proper airflow (ironic, I know).
    The PC will be under a desk by my feet so a bit of noise isn't an issue.

11. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

What I'd suggest is when you get it, sell the pump and get a D5, as with that many blocks and rads the pump it comes with may struggle...

12. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

13. Fantus

14. Big Elf

I've just realised the kit comes with just about everything you need including a res, tubing, compression fittings and fans and is excellent value for money. The pump will be fine and you shouldn't have to change it.

15. Fantus

Even with an extra Rad and the GPU's in there as well? I know I'll need the fittings for the GPU's but if I don't need an extra Rad then that'd save a fair bit.

Edit: If I were to get a pair of these, what would I need to bridge between the two? Kind of going blind for seeing bits :sigh: Also, I will need another Rad, one for the CPU and another for the GPU's so will I need a better pump?

16. Big Elf

I've used on of those pumps on a quad rad, dual rad, Heatkiller, 2 Graphics blocks (admittedly not full cover blocks) and a NB Block without a problem. Even at lower voltages it delivers enough flow rate.

17. Fantus

You posted that as I was typing that edit :p

Thanks!

18. Big Elf

19. Fantus

I think I've got everything pretty much sorted now, just got to wait for the i5 2500k's to arrive in stock. I'm on holiday fairly soon so I'll have plenty of time to enjoy a new build :)

20. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

Both are 95W TDP parts. Also

and,
    leads me to believe you have some serious issues with your hearing. I have the exact same kit and anything beyond pump setting 2 and fans >900rpm are intrusive. Running both at nearly full swing sounds like the rig is not only about to take off, but that it's going to give a jet plane a run for its money. Sure you can push the heat load on the rad way up and blast away with powerful fans, put it's not going to be quiet.