1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays 27 or 30 inch monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ejh121, 1 Aug 2011.

1. ejh121

ejh121 What's a Dremel?

Hi everyone,

I'm planning on buying myself a new 27 or 30 inch monitor. I was thinking about spending up to about £500, but can exceed this if the benefits were worth the extra money.

I will be using it for gaming (most types, including FPS) and general office and internet use. I don't play online multiplayer and won't in the foreseeable future, so I don't have to worry about getting something to suit that. And I won't be doing any 3D gaming, so wouldn't buy a particular monitor just for that (unless it was a free bonus). I also don't use Photoshop or any serious graphical work.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should get?

My current computer is an i7 930 with 2X Nvidia 460 in SLI. I usually upgrade my machine every 2 years or so, and am planning on keeping the monitor for at least 5 years.

I currently have a Samsung 2232BW, and have never noticed any problems with lag, so I think that any monitor which at least matches my Samsung should be okay for my gaming.

I've looked at the Dell U2711 on the internet and seen the Apple Cinema Display 27 in the shops. Both seem very nice. Is it worth spending the extra on one of these for my use? And does anyone have any experience with the Hazro HZ27WC (which seems to be a cheap version of the Apple)? Am I likely to really notice the difference if I get an IPS over an TN screen, and is the difference really worth the extra money?

Thanks for any help or comments that you can give.

ejh121