1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project F.E.A.R.

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by The_Pope, 9 Jun 2005.

1. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

2. sadffffff

sadffffff Minimodder

couple errors in the article on the first page:

http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2005/06/09/project_fear/1.html
    1st page, doesnt start untill after the ads on the right stop using IE, just a whole lotta white space.

also in the first paragraph:
    that EURL thing looks like a bit of code that isnt right.

Nifty case BTW

3. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

I don't belive
    Code:
     [eurl=www.whatisfear.com/us/]scariest trailers[/eurl]
    is a valid web language.
    :)

edit:
    gerrrr sadffff you type to fast

4. Tim S

Tim S OG

that is part of the language that we use to input articles in to the engine - easier than html. I don't know how that wasn't picked up on, but it is fixed now.

The IE bug is also fixed for that page.... it is a strange one that crops up randomly

Last edited: 9 Jun 2005
  5. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

heh looks like a good game, shame you've covered all the ventilation holes at the fornt of the case :p

morgan.

6. Mr T

Mr T 4 Left Into Long 3 Right

It looks nice and all but it still kind of dissappoints me that when bit-tech are commissioned to 'mod' a case they seam to just stick a sticker on it. Where the true modding in that? :(

7. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Exactly my thoughts too.

Custom Mod... just slap a sticker on it. That'll be £# please...

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Well the thing is we have a different idea and time scale to modding than these companies. A proper mod with true innovation takes a LOT of time, anyone on here knows that - mostly in the planning and then having the materials and time and expertise to do it. The problem is these companies want a mod and they want it done yesterday, which is why Geoff said through the article a few times about the constraints he was under and why he needed the post to get to him quickly, or he reused dimentions.

9. TMM

TMM Modder

It looks nice but........... ventilation? :worried:

10. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Maybe these should be labeled as 'Corperate Mods' then.

11. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

So surley its better to turn down the offer than to just slap a sticker on there. I mean yeah we all know about the time/money/skill required for a half descent mod, but its just wrong....How can a website so renowned for modding resort to using stickers? And if this can stress the latest hardware, why is the system being suffocated :worried:

12. The_Pope

Trust me - we explored several options, and with limited time AND limited budget, the CaseSkin route was the only real option.

For example, everything had to be approved by the Product Manager at Vivendi, who has more on his plate than discuss designs with me all damn day. It took the best part of two entire weeks to get the Photoshop layouts to the point where they were happy, so I make no apologies for it not being Orac tbh.

As for ventilation, I left it to the magazine boys depending on what sort of system they put into it. The PC-61 will draw air under the front lip at the bottom of the bezel, so it isn't reliant on those front holes per se. Indeed, there is a fairly restrictive filter on those front vents, so the normal airflow is less than you'd think.

The other reason I didn't go ahead and punch 200-odd holes in the front of my otherwise clean case is my past experience from Project Synapse: http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2004/09/21/project_synapse/3.html

As I mentioned in my Worklog, the CaseSkin vinyl really doesn't like fine detail, and cutting those tiny airholes throws up enormous challenges to get it to look decent. So the best solution was to leave them intact for the magazine photography, and if they install something super high-end in it, then can always open them up. Ditto the top 80mm

13. The_Pope

Wow - I'm certainly not going to sit here all night defending this project. I'm amused that several of you are so quick to dismiss CaseSkins as merely "stickers" - they are a hugely versatile medium, are relatively low cost and unless y'all have a PHD in airbrushing, produce a better result in a weekend than many people could manage in 10 times the time.

There's no law that says every bit-tech mod has to be Orac-level stuff: anyone got a spare 9 months and $x000? We cater for EVERY modder, from the newbie who stil getsl excited by making a, blowhole 4 years after we cut our first, right up to the G-gnomes and Eddie the Danes.

The bottom line is that this mod was barely 24 hours from CaseSkin delivery to couriering the final product to the magazine, including photography in order to bring you guys something new to read. I'm happy with the end result, and so are Vivendi, which is what is important.

So take it easy fellas

14. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Man, you people are being brutal to this just because its not a traditional style mod? Give it a rest; this is an awesome case, with great visuals; it actually does take talent to get measurements right with that kind of stuff, design things to work properly, and to take into account absolutely everything necessary; you did great job :thumb:

15. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

If you think 'slapping a sticker on' is all it takes you need to appreciate a little more about design before you make such a sweeping statement. As an example I spent longer on the graphical design element of the synapse skin than some people have on entire mods for their cases.

It's not all about cutting holes and spraying custom formed plastic bolt-ons.

16. The_Pope

Thank you Roto - appreciated

Everyone else: you're off my Christmas card list :p

Kna: down boy! ;)

17. Xiachunyi

Xiachunyi What's a Dremel?

I really like how the case turned out - especially considering the time limit it was under with the final judgement being called by someone who probably just wants it done and not as a piece of art.

Off question: How would you describe the quality of the black of the skin in relation to the reflection it shows? I am thinking about changing the back end of laptop to piano black but, instead of trying to paint and void my warranty, that I could maybe apply a skin to emulate the effect. To rephrase my question, how does look of the black on the skin compare to a piano?

18. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Well I for one think it was very well done. Even merely applying the skins is tricky to do without air bubbling it to death. I personally like the art that Vivendi through out more, but it is their case.

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I defended you :waah:

As for ventilation - you lot have never used an acrylic case then? Even with airflow it's like an oven and stuff still works perfectly fine.

20. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

All mods are worthy. OK? :grr:

Now let's get back to modding.

Tags: Add Tags