1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Looking to upgrade home minecraft server/nas

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Stotherd-001, 15 Aug 2011.

1. Stotherd-001

Stotherd-001 Minimodder

Hi,

I'm looking to 'upgrade' my home server. It runs a small (5-10 person) minecraft server, but I'm getting a good few warnings popping up in logs saying it can't keep up, so I'm hoping to put in hardware with a bit more of a kick. Main problem with server is likely the low upload bandwidth (1Meg), but I'm getting these messages when only one person is on, so I'm thinking theres another explanation.
    Problem is, it needs to use as little power as possible. At the minute I have it (and only it) running on an Ubuntu 1.6Ghz Atom based box, with 4Gb Ram and a 1Tb 5400rpm sata 2 hard disk. I also want to use it as my file server, and maybe a webserver.

I do have a lot of hardware leftover from old builds, but I'm not sure what would give me the best power per watt, and lowest power consumption. These are below:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 with Asus p5N-E motherboard - 6Gb Ram
    Amd 5000+ X2 with M2N-Sli motherboard - 4Gb Ram.
    Amd 3000+ system can't remember motherboard or Ram.
    Core 2 duo Acer laptop with 3Gb Ram

These all have mid-range graphics cards too, which will likely need downgraded/made headerless for power requirements.

I'm willing to put a couple of hundred quid into upgrading, but I want to keep consumption below 70W if possible.

I've no problem with remote system management, so the system doesn't neccesarily need graphics output.

Any advice?

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

That Core 2 laptop likely has a Txxx CPU in it. These are built for low power (as is the whole laptop). I'd say that is definitely your best bet! Just have the screen turn off, and the the HD power down whenever its not needed, and you'll be sorted.

3. Stotherd-001

Stotherd-001 Minimodder

I'll give it a shot, any recommended OS? It has Win7 on it but a dual boot linux is very possible.

4. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands