1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Samsung intros 'toggle-mode' SSD

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 17 Jun 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. Mr T

Mr T 4 Left Into Long 3 Right

"Samsung's latest SSD boosts capacity to 512MB"

Should that be Gb? Hehe. What's the point though it saturates the 3Gb/s SATA bus?

3. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

Hehe I noticed that typo too ;)

512 GB and read/write speeds in the 200s could be a nice drive, even if it'll cost an unholy amount ^^

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Damnit. I was *so* careful to check, double-check, and triple-check the article body I didn't pay any attention to the image caption. :rolleyes:

5. shanky887614

shanky887614 What's a Dremel?

well it wasnt enough,
    no use crying over spilt mik

6. neocleous

neocleous Minimodder

The tech in SSD's is moving really fast it seems like every day bit puts up some break through in the SSd sector, its such a shame they are still soooo expensive compared to traditional hard disks.

7. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Nice to see people working like mad on the SSD technologies. Put them together and we'll have some kick ass SSDs soon.

8. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Sigh. I don't want to sound like I am just posting the same thing over and over, but again, why the hell do companies not show off their random speeds? That's what matters. Although the size (512GB) is quite impressive in all fairness.

An hour extra battery life is impressive if true though, considering SSDs use such bare all power anyway.

9. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

i just which nand production was put forward and not one of them lines cut in the new cut everything and saving world we now live in...
    These SSD's would make an absolute fortune for commericial and general consumer use, had they just threw themselves some stick at keeping the nand production high and ssd prices down.
    These should be retailing at no more than £200 for the 512gb. But sadly we live in such a cost cutting world that people are cutting even the most profitable sectors of their organisations

10. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

Don't forget about ramping up production so the prices come down to acceptable levels.

11. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

So, BT is gonna get us an in-depth review soon right?

12. Sebbo

Sebbo What's a Dremel?

3 things I don't like about current SSDs: the use of NAND, the small(er) size, and the huge cost. So far, this drive has addressed two of those: good size for system and programs, and a non-volatile DDR over NAND.

For the current price in Australia of SSD drives in excess of 250GB, I can build a complete HTPC (including a Lian Li case for drives near the same capacity as this), so if Samsung can get this out at a good price, it will definitely be a winner in my books

13. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

If it's hampered by SATA3 Gb/s, why make it with that interface?

14. Vigilante

Vigilante What's a Dremel?

I hate it when companies demonstrate performance of solid state devices by quoting their sequential speed. In 99% of cases, it is not sequential speed that makes SSD's superior to hard disks, it's random read and write.

Until manufacturers start honestly quoting decent random speeds for their drives, I'll just keep waiting until benchmarks come along and (most likely) show the drive being trounced by intel and sandforce devices.

15. TSR2

TSR2 What's a Dremel?

So, wish list,
    Crazy OC'ed Sapphire 5970, £1000
    i7-980X, £1000
    This, also probably £1000.
    How many organs is it possible to sell?

16. Burdman27911

Burdman27911 What's a Dremel?

If I recall, Intel should be starting production of 25nm base NAND this year which will continue the trend of increased performance and decreased prices. I think things will start to look pretty good for SSDs in late 2011 or early 2012.

This new drive really is tempting me to purchase for my 3D rendering workstation here at work. My workstation is HDD limited when trying to compile the rendered frames from my render farm.

17. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

Almost everyone although you won't be alive to profit from them xD

Cost figures for this piece of epicness?

18. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

With every state of the art PC component costing $1000.00 including the dam PC case (Thermaltake Level 10)
    how are we supposed to afford all this stuff on a PC gamers salary? Nice advancement in tech but how about you lower the price already.

512GB SSD is great but at $1000.00 I'll stick to HDD

Tags: Add Tags