1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other AMD 14.1 beta

Discussion in 'Software' started by Kovoet, 2 Feb 2014.

1. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

AMD 14.1 catalyst beta now available to download. Let's see if mantle works with my 7970's

2. rollo

rollo Modder

anandtech have ran some numbers. looking at a 7% performance boost on 2 high end gpus with high end cpu basically what your going to test with at 1080 resolution ultra settings. Theres a -10% at low for some reason and a 8% at medium.

Running my own tests I gained about 5-6 fps on a single 7970 that I have had spare for a while at 1080 ultra. Does not really change anything as it was playable before that. Its around 10% free performance which is nice.

APUs with dedicated gpus seem to get the biggest benefits with the 7850 cpu amd just released and a 290x seeing closer to 40% boost in frames bringing it closer to its intel cpus.

3. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Reading between the lines there will be an upgrade later for the 7000 series, fingers crossed.

4. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Silly question but how do you 'enable' Mantle? is it an option in BF4 now?

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Yup there's a graphic api option in video settings tried it myself but fraps didn't seem to show, I guess because it uses dx11

6. AlienwareAndy

Cool thanks. What I'm more interested in is the CPU usage.

Mantle apparently goes some ways to eliminating the CPU from the equation and removing the CPU as a bottleneck.

7. rollo

rollo Modder

You would need to own a pretty old cpu to test that theory. Or a low end i3 low end apu.

Will see what it does for Thief as BF4 is not really the best game to test with due to low cpu requirements in single player and huge cpu requirements in multi. ( always the problem with using battlefield games for testing its why alot do not use it)

The orginal alpha driver did not even support the 7000 series thats why it was delayed in the first place kovoet.

8. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

If anything that made the biggest change with the 7970. Uses less off the cpu. Remember one thing though an update does not work. You have to uninstall then install New driver

9. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Reading through the anandtech comments gives a couple of interesting web paves. Polish and German sites have benchmarks up with multiplayer. Looks promising when you remember this is just the beginning..

10. AlienwareAndy

FFS. Uninstalled my Cats as AMD suggest, no keyboard or mouse on reboot. Tried a USB mouse, that doesn't work either. So it's knocked out my USB driver and I can't think of any way of launching the installer.

If I have to reinstall over this I will send AMD telekinetic death messages.

11. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Hehe he, yup I can't say it was plain sailing for me, did some baseline test in paracel storm 64 player with 1, 2 and 3 gpus then enabled mantle managed to test one gpu and it all went tits up, could no longer load any BF4 multiplayer without resetting, then I got bored as Mantle on 1 gpu was slower, decided it was probably not for me, I had plenty of performance in DX11.

Oh tried again just now and mantle microstutters in CF, will wait until its out of beta but BF4 is working well in DX11.

Worth noting too that when you change from DX11 to Mantle or vice versa it doesn't take effect until quitting game.

Last edited: 2 Feb 2014
  12. AlienwareAndy

OK can some one running an AMD rig do this for me?

Find out where -

amdhub30.inf

and

amdxhc.inf

are on your system please? IE - System32 etc. Then can you upload them somewhere for me so I can attempt to copy them?

This is a nightmare :(

13. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

14. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Don't mind me! I'll just sit back with my popcorn and watch you all beta test this before I update. Thanks guy's :D

15. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Same. I have no game that supports mantle anyway... Next game I want is GTA and it needs to come out on PC to be bought.

16. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

14.1 Beta also breaks Minecraft...... WTF!!

It looks like I'll be rolling back to 13.12, the kids will not be happy if they can't play Minecraft!

Played BF4 MP using Mantle on a Core i7 950, 12GB and a 7950 and wasn't that impressed, if anything I noticed a severe FPS drop in certain conditions, aiming down a zoomed scope makes framerates half!! Normally on High settings I get around 60fps but noticed that dropping to 30 when scoped.

Big ol' drops can drop framerates to as low as 4.... yes, that's FOUR FPS!!

Switching back to DX11 me thinks until Mantle has matured.

Last edited: 3 Feb 2014
  17. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

There will be an update for or 7000 series soon

18. rollo

rollo Modder

As I said earlier that update was already launched. Orginally mantle did not support the 7000 series on launch, They changed there minds and delayed the launch of the official drivers till saturday.

Most of the issues though are related to people with 7000 series cards for some reason which suggests they have just rushed it through and not given the same throughness as they did to the r2xx series of cards.

r2xx series has no real issues to report, Anyone with a 7000 series card seems to have a world of issues to report.

19. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Have to say, I've installed those drivers and performance in Skyrim has improved quite a bit. A lot less stuttering... and this isn't even phase 3 yet for all the other frame pacing nonsense (can't remember if I'm talking nonsense or not though). I guess it could be r9 290 specific optimisations... for dx9 titles that is.

Tags: