1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft Surface Pro 2 gets sneaky CPU upgrade

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 3 Jan 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

It must suck if you got a Surface Pro 2 for Christmas, now that the Surface Pro 2.5 is hitting retailers.
    Maybe break it in some way to get it changed under warranty.

3. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Because encouraging fraud is both a legal and moral thing to do.

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Where as upgrading some customers that bought the same model device after the Christmas rush is totally moral of course ? and while I'm no lawyer false advertising and misleading investors is perfectly legit isn't it.

5. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Surely this forum has rules in place to prevent the encouragement and endorsements of criminal acts?

Sorry to be a g*t so early in the new year, but purchasing tech gear is always a risk that something new and better will be coming out pretty soon. Just because an upgrade comes out very VERY early does not provide justification for fraud.

How far do your suggested acts of criminal retribution go? You think damaging your product and hoping you get an upgraded replacement is okay? (Even though you'd just get a refurb in truth). How about claiming your tablet was stolen and defrauding your insurers instead? How about intercepting a shipment from Microsoft and stealing direct from source? How about picking the pocket of a MS exec and running up a bill on the company CC? How about mugging another customer and stealing their tablet?

How far is too far?

And by the way, I don't think selling a tablet with spec 'A' is false advertising, even if they upgrade to spec 'B' tomorrow, next week or next year.

6. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

my galaxy S3 was a great phone - 6 weeks later , they brought out the 4G version - for the same price! did I commit a criminal act to get it replaced? nope - it does and still does what I want it to do.

same with this. my wife has the surface RT and is very happy ; so this has had a speed bump? you wont really notice it as the surface 2 is quick anyway

7. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

The CPU is locked at 2.6GHz... it won't go up to 2.9GHz... so no difference.

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

SHOCK NEWS! Computer hardware that you buy TODAY may have LOWERED in VALUE and been SUPERCEDED by slightly SUPERIOR hardware in THREE MONTHS' TIME!!! :eeek:

Oh, wait... :worried: Hasn't that always been so?

But go ahead, smash your insanely powerful, highly expensive pinnacle of tablet engineering in a childish tantrum because the tablet of little Johnnie down the street basically runs slightly faster. Seriously, First World Problems.

9. GoodBytes

Actually, many didn't notice, they already have the faster CPU, is what I am finding.
    But in any case, if you look anywhere on Microsoft web site and documentation of the device, you'll see that Microsoft mentioned 'Core i5', with no mention of the actual CPU model.
    So no false advertising.

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Except for the 1.9GHz base clock, to the original Surface Pro 2's 1.6GHz. Oh, and VT-d support, which the Surface Pro had but the Surface Pro 2 did not until the upgrade. Oh, and vPro. And Trusted Execution Technology. Ah, and TSX-NI...

Shall I go back out and come in again?

11. GoodBytes

Sorry, I was referring to performance.
    300MHz increase is nothing but marginal on the base clock.
    Those that got the device already, clearly don't mind these missing features, else they would not buy it.

12. GoodBytes

I installed the latest firmware... and it still locked at 2.6GHz... but only when I do a Windows Update check, I have Intel Turbo boost monitor, showing that it does reach at 2.8GHz.... so I guess it can reach it... but under very specific condition(s).

Basically, when using the system regularly, ans not using a software that pushes the CPU... and set to High Performance... Now I can reach 2.8GHz and a minute time 2.9GHz. Normally, it's 2.5-2.6GHz easy.
    Under High Performance, you do year the fan kick-in....

Last edited: 3 Jan 2014
  13. Gareth Halfacree

You're begging the question, there. Because the buyers of Surface Pro 2s had no choice as to whether they bought one with VT-d, vPro, TSX-NI and TET or one without you're claiming that they obviously didn't mind those features being missing. That completely ignores those buyers who purchased a Surface Pro 2 despite it lacking those features, in the spirit of compromise. To put it another way: if you offered a buyer their choice of Surface Pro 2 with i5-4200U or with i5-4300U and its boosted performance and added features with no difference in price, how many do you think would opt for the i5-4200U?

Have you never bought something which wasn't quite perfect, simply because it's the closest you could find? I don't think I've ever bought something that didn't fit that description - and I certainly wouldn't say I "didn't mind" the shortcomings, but simply that I was willing to put up with them 'cos it was either that or not having the object in question at all.

Anyway, it's all moot because Microsoft has made the move for one reason and one reason only: if it can't convince enterprises to adopt Surface Pro, the format is dead in the water. The introduction of vPro support, and to a lesser extent VT-d and TET, is absolutely critical here - which is why I predicted that we'll see an announcement of the change once stock of the original models is completely exhausted.

14. GoodBytes

They are other offerings, like Dell has a competing product.

15. Gareth Halfacree

The Venue 11 Pro? That doesn't have VT-d, or TSX-NI, or vPro or TET either. And it's certainly no competition to the Surface Pro 2: it's an Atom chip, f'gawdsake.

EDIT: My mistake, there is a vPro-enabled, Core i5-based Venue 11 Pro. Trouble is, it isn't out until the 21st of January - so I stand by my statement: the Venue Pro as it was available up to the Surface Pro 2's CPU upgrade was no competition.

EDIT TO THE EDIT: The Core i5 Venue 11 Pro will, it seems, feature the i5-4300Y. That's slower than the i5-4300U of the refreshed Surface Pro 2, especially in IGP performance, but does include VT-d, vPro, TSX-NI and TET. So yes, that will be competition for the Surface Pro 2 when it's released. Not an option for anyone who needed a tablet before the end of this month, mind...

Last edited: 3 Jan 2014
  16. GoodBytes

17. Gareth Halfacree

See my edit: not available until the 21st of January, so not competition for anyone who has already bought a Surface Pro 2.

18. GoodBytes

you can buy the pro 1 for really cheap, or get the thinkpad yoga 2.

19. Gareth Halfacree

Even more compromising there: terrible battery life for a start, and the Core i5-3317U supports neither vPro nor TSX-NI. Nor TET, for that matter. Oh, and you'll have no support for the exciting new accessories which are Surface 2/Surface Pro 2 exclusive, like that strange DJ mixing deck thingy.
    You mean the Yoga 2 Pro? That's a 13.3in convertible Ultrabook with a touch-screen, not a tablet with a detachable keyboard. Even then, the middle model has the same i5-4200U as the pre-upgrade Surface Pro 2 - with the same lack of features - so you'd need to go to the top-end version with its i7-4500U. Oh, except that doesn't have vPro. Or VT-d. or TSX-NI. Or TET. And it's £200 more expensive than the Surface Pro 2.

20. GoodBytes

Ok you are pushing things... For battery life, you can get the battery cover when it comes out...
    In the mean time, enjoy 6h of battery life of office work, 5h or more demanding task.

The new features are 4th gen Core i series, so if it didn't bother you before, most likely nowt now as well. Plus, teh chances that something actually uses these new features, now, is slim to none. There isn't any large market share, and software maker would work on compatibility mode. and assuming they needed those features, they probably already went and say.. let's get ultrabooks, or wait for next year for Surface Pro 3. As you can see on the interwebs, people aren't pissed off like you are.
    The worst you get, is a "oh well", as the performance difference is marginal, and 'no one' cares about Intel extra features... as it was not a decision making. The decision from Microsoft, is either that Intel is discontinued the 4200U, or Microsoft wants to enter the business side... and if they want to do that, there is a bigger problem for them to fix: Make the Surface Pro serviceable... so maybe Pro 3.

Also, NO I mean the Thinkpad Yoga, the one with the pen.

Gareth, stop trying to hate Microsoft, to make an article. Bashing Microsoft for nothing to get click days are over.