1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Google opens first retail store in London

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 3 Oct 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Dixons group? Really? I sense great fail in this endeavour.

3. Centy-face

Centy-face Caw?

Who else could they partner with?

Jampotp likes this.
  4. Phalanx

No one?

5. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

They could open the equivalent of the 'Apple Store' self branded but it would cost them a lot more to get it off the ground. By partnering with Dixons they get out of a lot of the admin and can get products out there faster.

I for one would be interested in trying one but unfortunately I moved to Denmark... :p

6. Phalanx

It's just opinion I guess. I wouldn't walk into a Dixons (of any type, ie. PC World, etc) if you paid me!

7. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

A Google branded store would undoubtedly draw quite a bit of attention, but as they're only pimping one product, doing so might be a bit overzealous?

8. mighty_pirate

mighty_pirate What's a Dremel?

Why?
    I know they suck on a number of fronts, but their prices are occassionally pretty good. I've known them to better than both Amazon & Ebuyer on occassion.

9. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

I echo this - whilst so-called 'computer enthusiasts' generally wouldn't shop at these outlets, PC Worlds are suaully pretty full on busy shopping days, so plenty of people use them. Makes sense to me to position your products in a key area of a leading retail outlet for PCs?

10. justicefornone

justicefornone What's a Dremel?

I love walking around them chuckling at the specs of the PCs and prices of said naff PCs. It's great fun, although usually end up chatting to some people who are after PCs and are confused. That is also rather fun mind... Maybe I should get a job there!

11. improprietary

improprietary FT03 is a bitch to watercool

Get out of there while you can! The national beer is basically watered down piss with fizz! :worried:

#offtopic

12. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

ChromeOS has written fail all over it imho, just as much as all other cloud-products.

Noones able to guarantee 110% safety of my data in the cloud and as legal systems heavily differ between US and EU I don't see the cloud to be of any use at all for international companies aswell. See "Patriot Act" in that regard.

Aditionally. A device that doesn't work while offline is total bollocks and aslong as most people don't have access to unlimited mobile broadband-plans for a fixed and rather low price these "online only" devices won't take off in the consumer-market.

So yeah. They can sure install shops for their ChromeOS-gimmicks, but anyone with a small amount of brain-capacity left can only laugh about this.

13. Cogwulf

Cogwulf What's a Dremel?

The biggest problem with chromebooks that I can see is that for basically the same base hardware, they cost about £100 more than a windows netbook. And also, the fact that they use tiny SSDs and that chrome OS has lower power usage than windows means that they're using much cheaper batteries to get the same battery life.

Basically, if I had the option to buy a normal netbook and install chrome OS on it, I would seriously consider it, but current options are extortionate.

14. John_T

John_T Minimodder

I assume you're talking about Carlsberg? Have you ever actually tasted it in Denmark? It tastes like a completely different drink over there - Quality Control definitely holds back the good stuff for themselves...

As for Google partnering with Dixons, as Centy-face said: Who else? They're by far the largest and most prominent electronics retailer in the country. Certain people may look on them with snobbery, but the footfall and attention Google will get out of this would probably eclipse every other option they had combined.

Not everyone analyses and agonizes over their gadget purchases - most people just buy stuff in the same way as they'd buy a bar of chocolate: Decide they want something, wander into a shop & have a look around, then choose something off the shelf.

15. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Yeah cloud products are just full of fail, just look at the mess apple is in because of it. And can anyone remember Gmail? Ha I bet those google engineers got so fired for dreaming up that lemon!

It's proper software and physical media all the way for me. Cloud... Shmoud

You'd never catch me buying an app or some music from the cloud, not when I can walk into a shop to do the same.

...Or updating my computer, not when I can get DVDs sent to me in the post.

... Or seamlessly transferring files between all my devices. Sneaker-net rocks!

... Or catching up on last night's TV online or watching some tit on a skateboard face planet down some steps. I've got my trusty Betamax full of re-runs of You've been framed. Who needs iPlayer and 4OD and that unpopular jumped up "U Toob" or whatever it's called.

Oh hold on... Flipped out there for a moment, I really don't know what happened... what did I just say? Oh yeah...

The cloud is here - long live the cloud.

(But be sure to keep a local backup)

16. bigkingfun

bigkingfun Tinkering addict

It most certainly is not!
    Give me your adress and I shall send a bottle of Carlsberg and/or Tuborg.

17. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

You fail to understand, that ChromeOS can only be used within the cloud and not as an offline-system. You simply can't do anything with your ChromeOS-device while not connected to the internet, as you can't even install software on your device. All software is just unlocked/rented and then used through the browser as a cloud-service.

This is something totally different to the examples given by you.

18. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

You beat me to it.

Yes, there is a massive difference between cloud integration and cloud dependent computing.

19. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Maybe I just have strange taste, but those chairs look mighty uncomfortable. No back to lean into, no arm rests to for support while typing.

20. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

I was in PC World/Currys the other day so I could see the size of a home cinema soundbar I was ordering elsewhere online. Anyway, they already have an "Apple" store inside, looked quite flashy too.

Still wouldn't buy from there but you can't deny that many do.

Tags: Add Tags