1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD unveils new APUs, SoCs and Radeon HD 8000 Series

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 8 Jan 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

We should make clear, the 8-series parts are just 7-series re-brands, so 7970 owners, do not fret! This also means we wont be publishing any reviews of these parts.

3. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I can see why they sometimes rebrand old parts that fit well (usually at a lower price) into a new series, but why launch an entire line of rebranded parts?

Doesn't make any sense.

4. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

ooo could these be going into the Xi3 piston platform for the steam console?

5. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

Wow... that's... lame... I didn't even like rebrands in the mainstream, but now they are doing it at the top of their line?
    They should just keep the HD7970 name, I don't mind seeing the same name for 2 years...

6. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Anyone else think that the video for Win8 Gesture Control makes it look sluggish and retarded?

7. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

if bit-tech can include black mesa, a rebranded old HL1 game , on the game the the yrs list, then what amd is doing is just dandy also.

8. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Soooo sluggish.

9. Gravebond

Gravebond What's a Dremel?

I really want AMD to focus on the development of their APU chips and am glad to hear the news regarding this. I recently built a system for my gf costing £350 that included the A10 5800k , 2133mhz Ram x8gb on a Mini-itx MSI motherboard. At 720p she can play much of the steam catalogue at high settings and i am really really impressed. Due to the size and low power requirements i was able to use a tiny case. If they continue in this direction (which i hope they do) i think AMD should partner with a company like Asus to make specially featured ITX or smaller mobo's. It seems to me that the size of enthusiast PC's are still the same size as they have been for decades, but if more focus is put on changing this then some really desireable systems/ tech could come to light

10. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

11. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

12. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Hmm... The A10-6800k is still on the 28nm process and still a t the 100W TDP. Seems like intel will be ahead of AMD for quiet a while to come.

I couldn't care less about the GPUs aswell, so I'm sticking with the mid-level intel + nVidia for the next two years to come I guess, but I don't think I need to upgrade within the next two years anyways.

13. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

To be fair it's only an OEM rebrand, consumer products will still be 7xxx series. Basically as product refreshes get less common (longer development cycles from everyone), system builders have nothing new to sell, so request new-sounding parts to justify refreshes or re-releases.

This has been the case in all camps for a while now, though Intel's refresh cycle is currently fast enough for this not to be an issue.

14. loftie

loftie Multimodder

So since the 8000 series will be for OEMs and will just be rebranded 7000s, I wonder if that means they'll just skip to 9000s for their actual new GPUs or make up some new numbers in the 8000 range just to confuse the crap out of people more.

Any news on new GPUs?

15. VaLkyR-Assassin

VaLkyR-Assassin Minimodder

How disappointing. I thought there would be 'brand new' releases for retail :/

16. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

The current generation of APUs (Trinity) is produced using a 32 nm process, so Richland will be quite an upgrade, considering they will retain the 100W TDP after shrinking to 28nm. The CPU cores will use less power and/or will probably run at a higher frequency, and the GPU is GCN-based, as opposed to VLIW4 in Trinity.

17. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Well, if they're going to hawk re-names, I'll just stand there and tell people the AMD 8800 cards are licence built versions of Nvidia 8800s from 2006.
    Someone will believe it...

18. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

"Richland" is 32nm. The follow-on "Kaveri" will be 28nm.

Proof 1 - See in the following image from the presentation, "Richland" is shown as being 32nm, the same as "Trinity".
    Proof 2 - AMD says that "Richland" is "currently shipping to OEMs", which means that it has been in production for quite a few months for the wafer to be started and baked, the die packaged, and the finished APU sent to OEMs. It isn't being made at TSMC and GloFo 28nm isn't ready for production. Therefore, logically, it is 32nm.

If "Richland" is A10-6800K, then it is 32nm. If it isn't, then A10-6800K isn't "Richland".
    Everyone saying 28nm has been referencing Fudzilla. He seems to be wrong.

If "Richland" is 32nm (see above) and shipping now, it means Piledriver cores and VLIW4 graphics. It is just Piledriver with enhancements.
    No Steamroller and no GCN. More Fudzilla-branded FUD.

Last edited by a moderator: 9 Jan 2013
  19. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

You're quite right - I was going from the CPU-World entry linked in the article, which claims 28nm - but your evidence clearly points to a 32nm part. I'll correct the article - thanks for the heads-up!

20. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

. . .which got their information from (I think you can guess!) Fudzilla.

Who is also claiming GCN for the core. I'd be really careful with claiming that, because "Richland" is looking like a refined "Trinity" rather than a new core, with the claimed performance increase possibly due to a larger/higher clocked GPU rather than a new GPU.
    I would be very surprised at GCN showing up so soon.

EDIT: A bit of hunting and I found the 2013 Client Roadmap (PDF) on the AMD website.
    "Richland" is 32nm with 2-4 Piledriver cores and "2nd Generation DX11 GPU", which is as far as I can count is VLIW4 (VLIW5 being the 1st and GCN being the 3rd). Three versions: desktop, notebook (35w) and Low Voltage (17-25w).
    This close to release, if it was GCN it would say GCN, as it does for the 28nm Kaveri, Kabini and Temash APUs.

Last edited: 9 Jan 2013