1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Warning on using PayPal to pay for Steam games

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by pandoraocicat, 16 Aug 2010.

1. pandoraocicat

pandoraocicat What's a Dremel?

THIS ISSUE HAS BEEN RESOLVED BY STEAM BUT PAYPAL WHERE OF NO HELP AND NEARLY COST ME MY STEAM ACCOUNT.

Heres my story i had over 100+ games on steam account.(also bought my brother in law 15+ games)

I used steam as thought it was safe and to supprot game developers. My reward to get screwed over by steam. My crime paypal reversed a payment for some inknown reason.

Steams help see there last message below. So im screwed paypal cant reverse payment again. Tried sending payment via paypal again(steam wont accept this).

Before all you steam fan boys start shouting me down or saying they will fix it. They wont being totally ignored. Biggest kick in teeth was they let me purchess another games back hours before disabling my account. Also i had two copies of lead and gold still to give away from my account. So for a stupid payment of £5.46 ive been screwed over and ripped off.

So support pc gaming get shafted. No right of appeal no warning Sweet bugger all.
    So over £1000 spent on steam all ive got to show for it is a few useless desk icons.

Hello Craig, Thank you for contacting Steam Support. The purchase of Gratuitous Space Battles Collector's Edition has been disputed by Paypal. The Paypal account holder will need to close the dispute and have the funds returned to Steam. If the account holder is unable or unwilling to drop the dispute and let the PayPal know that the purchase is valid, and in turn have the funds returned to Steam, we will not be able to reactivate the account. All games on your account are locked to the account and can not be transferred to a different account. A different payment method can not be used for this game; the money must be returned by the PayPal account that made the original purchase. If the dispute is closed and the funds are released back to Steam, the account will be reactivated. However if PayPal closes the dispute by “Reversing the Payment”, meaning they send the funds for the purchase back to you, the Steam account will remain locked and you will lose access to all of the games on the account. There are no options to resolve a dispute once PayPal has closed the case, so we suggest that you contact them immediately. PayPal Help Center https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_help-ext Please let us know if you have any further questions. We are not able to do anything further with your account while a PayPal dispute is still pending, please remedy this issue with PayPal before asking for the account to be reactivated.

Anytime you wish you can view your question online:
    https://support.steampowered.com/view.php?ticketref=1115-TIAD-3132

Last edited: 17 Aug 2010
  2. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

So its Steam's fault that PayPal disputed the payment? How does that work?

3. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

It's not, but it's hardly fair that they remove access to all his previously purchased games just because of a problem with a payment on a single one. That game should be removed, not all of them. If you've purchased a game outright you should be able to play it whenever you like, and not have your account held hostage by a third party.

I know all this is probably in the SSA therefor they're not breaking any rules, but it doesn't make it any more right IMO.

4. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Also, this may only be one side of the story.

Paypal must be able to do something about it.

5. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I really dislike it when people who have zero connection to the Bit-Tech community make a new account to rant about something, or discredit or trash a person or company. Its totally one-sided and we have no idea what really happened. Call me cynical, but I tend not to believe random stuff posted by someone I don't know.

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

To be fair Steam do take a seriously hard line on this - locking a Steam account for a disputed payment, potentially an account which has £100s worth of games on it seems a little harsh.

7. Canon

Canon Reformed

Have you ever traded steam accounts in the past? I had a friend that bought a steam account from somebody, who then took the money and changed the steam account details straight away. My friend got together all the required evidence to prove a sale took place and what had happened and the seller will never use steam again, any or all of his accounts have been permenantly removed. To be honest I was surprised that the buyer didn't get stung, at the end of the day Steam frown upon account trading full stop, but there you go.

8. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

get onto paypal and see what the story is.

9. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

So instead of getting the dispute sorted out with PayPal you register on a forum to rant about it?

10. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

seems like a paypal issue to me but i agree steam are very harsh in suspending the account till its sorted

11. pandoraocicat

well ive been an avid reader of custom pc for years. And as a reader Id thought id warn everyone of this issue.(also took part in custompcs folding at home did manage get my username in mag a few times for hitting landmarks)

I have a credit card on file with steam which they could have used to take the £5.46 for gratutous space battles.

I even tried to resend cash via paypal to no avil. This issue happens more than once. Steam choose to accept paypal payments if they have issue with this they should stop.

There was no warning or communication from steam on saterday while playing just cause 2. I got kicked off game then when tried to restart I got message your account disabled. Any email or communcation from steam warning etc nope. Yet a few hours earlier they happily took my cash for the doom pack on steam even tho they had no intention of supplying it.

Noy only have i spent a lot of money on myself ive alos bought loads games for my little brother in law and friends of mine.

Now all i have left is a lot of shinny desktop icons and not a lot else.

My crime to pay with paypal. (that i have used plenty of times in the past)

So for someone that whole heartdly supprots the gamming industiry and heres the crunch you cant say im a steam hater as ive bought 100s of bloody games from them this is how im treated over one lousy game at £5.46.

So my reward for supporting pc developers to get totally screwed over.

and to everyone that thinks ah its okay ill get my account back im not exactly holding my breath here.

Now only way to play the games i purchessed is through illegal downloads.

Ironic gamer forced to break law by Steampowered. I will also be writing to Custom pc letter section as well. As im screwed and doubt i will ever see steam account again. (hell cant log in so it dosent exist) and heres a copy of my last purchess at steam. (sold with no intention to supply me goods-illegal in uk) So belive me or not. This could happen to you. And seeing how many retail versions of games now require steam im really stuck what i can play anymore.

Dear craig ,

Thank you for your recent purchase on Steam.

If you’re new to Steam, install the free Steam application now:

http://www.steampowered.com/getsteam

To play your new games, just launch the Steam application on your computer and log in using your Steam account name: xxxxx. Your games will be available in Steam on the “Library” tab.

Any Downloadable Content (DLC) you've purchased is automatically downloaded and will be accessible from within the base game on Steam. To view your new DLC from within your Library, right-click on the base game and select “View Downloadable Content.”

This email message will serve as your receipt. You can also access your Purchase History online at any time.

Doom Pack 7.81 GBP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total 7.81 GBP

Payment Info
    Visa ending with 7.81 GBP
    Confirmation Number
    Date Confirmed Fri Aug 13 12:14:41 2010

All prices include VAT where applicable.

For help or product support, please visit http://support.steampowered.com.

The Steam Support Team
    http://www.steampowered.com

Last edited: 17 Aug 2010
  12. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

what he said.

Steam really should have just removed that particular game, flag the account as suspicious, and issue a warning. any further issue will then lock the account.

13. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Despite me pointing it out you're still crying OMG I SUPPORT GAMING BOOHOO instead of logging into Paypal and resolving the dispute.

I have no sympathy for you.

14. TCoZ

TCoZ Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo...

I had a similar problem, I bought Devil May Cry 4 in the steam sales but Steam said there was an error and after contacting them they told me to contact PayPal, which ended up getting my account locked. After a while of talking to them both, they found out the problem and enabled my account again. It was annoying, though, not being able to play on the games I had bought.

15. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Maybe he should be also posting this on the steam forum.

16. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Like everyone else who is sane here (ie. Everyone who has replied) has said... "Talk to Paypal!" Phone them up and ask them what's going on.

17. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

have you even bothered ringing paypal yet

18. pandoraocicat

I have spoken to paypal i have emailed paypal they say there is nothing they can do. Ive also tried resending the cash via the same paypal account to no avail.

And funny thing all access to steams gone and any similler issue like this on steam forums are all strangely locked.

So yes ive already banged my head against a brick wall for half this morning and got nowhere.

19. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

After reading this, I'm sticking to paying by credit card.

To be fair though, I've dealt with Paypals customer service a few times, and it really is second to none, so this issue should be able to be resolved.

20. pandoraocicat

I have spoken to paypal i have emailed paypal they say there is nothing they can do. Ive also tried resending the cash via the same paypal account to no avail.

And funny thing all access to steams gone and any similler issue like this on steam forums are all strangely locked.

So yes ive already banged my head against a brick wall for half this morning and got nowhere.

And i wasnt looking for your or anyone else sympathy.

Just a lttle warning on using payapl and steam.

If youve ever tried dealing or speaking to paypal you will come accross someone thats speaks passible english and reads only what the computer says. And ive emailed them a dozen times and called three times spoke to three difrent people at paypal.

But i thank you for your support