1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Macross Frontier Side Panel tile spacers/glue for side panel part 2

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by milotic858, 4 Mar 2009.

1. milotic858

milotic858 What's a Dremel?

I will be transforming the Raven by Silverstone into a Macross Frontier inspired case mod. When I saw the Raven, I loved the design of the case. I thought this would be an amazing case to mod. You can tell there was a lot of thought into the design and functionality of this case.

http://www.silverstonetek.com/raven/en/home.php

For those of you, like me, that love anime you have heard of the Macross series. For those of you that haven't heard or seen it, I highly recommend this tv series. It is has cute and endearing characters with a very engaging story. I don't want to give too much detailed information about the plot for those that haven't seen it. But, this a summary that is provided on the link below.

The Macross Frontier fleet is en route towards the center of the Milky Way galaxy in search of inhabitable planets when it is attacked by the mysterious extraterrestrial life-form Vajra.

http://macross.anime.net/wiki/Macross_Frontier

Okay, now back to the case...Here it is, stock.

[​IMG]

Check out the front cover. It slides up to cover and then down to reveal the drive bays.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

other side panel that will be modded later.
    [​IMG]

Front IO ports, hidden behind a trap door.
    [​IMG]

Because of all the intricate design features, I have to take it apart first to get an idea of just how I will paint and mod it.

A unique feature of the Raven is that the motherboard tray is turned 90 degrees. Making the back of the board face up.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Took the top off and took the rest apart.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Side Panel with window.
    [​IMG]

I love all the filters to help keep a clean dust free environment
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's it for now. Thanks for viewing. :D Any input is much appreciated. I am throwing together various paint themes and I plan to bring out the dremel next. :dremel:

Last edited: 1 Jul 2009
  2. MikeMania

MikeMania What's a Dremel?

Sweet, I've seen the series and enjoyed it for the most part.

The case certainly has aspects that resemble the mecha from the show. Eager to see what you do with it!

3. utopius

utopius artificially unintelligent

IM SOOOOOOOO happy someone as decided to mod one of these raven's :) the thing is just gorgeous im so eager to see what you got planned for this

4. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Interested to see how this turns out. Gerwalk-mode case?

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Obviously you need a big-*ss gun, and a million doors that hide rocket pods.:D

6. TiTON

TiTON IRONMODS

This is going to be a wicked mod.. mechs, anime, casemodding = Winning combo :) The Raven has all the right lines for this theme.

Your GDI War Factory case is awesome, can' t wait to see what you come up with.

- Ton

7. [DJ]

[DJ] What's a Dremel?

Great case choice, the raven already looks a variable fighter. What mode are you planning to use: Fighter, Gerwalk, or Battroid? Or maybe some combination?

8. milotic858

Glad to hear that you have seen the series! :thumb:When I saw this case, I know it would be perfect.

I totally agree with you. This case is gorgeous. It is really cool to look at from pictures online, but it is truly impressive once you see this case in person. :eeek: There is so much more to this case then what I could take pictures of. I hope to show off more of the details of this case as I get further along in the mod process.

If I could build it, it would totally be in this case mod

edzieba, and [DJ] - I don’t want to give too much away. But, I will theme it after one of the characters. Right now, I have two separate plans in the works. It is harder than I thought to pick just one. As to which mode I will be using….what do you guys think? Better to stick to one mode or do combo?

TiTon – Thanks for the comments!:blush: Hope to have an update for everyone really soon.:D

9. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

That's given me an idea. Black P180 + compact red LED array = Sharon Apple mod? Won't be controlling any advanced UCAVs with it though.

10. ChrisK

ChrisK What's a Dremel?

Wow another case!!! Can't wait to see more and the final project.

11. Spoooon

Spoooon What's a Dremel?

Really looking forward to seeing this one, looks like theres so much that you can do with that case :thumb:

12. milotic858

Sand and prime

I love the design of the Raven, so I will keep the cool design features on each of the side panels. The center of the panels will be modified later. I have decided to go ahead and start painting. I know that the painting is usually one of the last things on a case mod (I was told that I look like I am working backwards, but I guess I have my own style:D) But I wanted to test the color combo and since i'm not cutting this part, I thought this would be a cool part to start with. It is really starting to warm up and it makes for great weather to start painting.

I decided on a combination of these colors

[​IMG]

Sanded each piece a bit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Primed each piece

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First coat of the gun metal color. Had to stop at that, it was getting too dark outside. Continued the next day...

[​IMG]

In the sun the paint looks pretty cool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have to retake more pictures of the entire piece inside, so you can see its true color.

13. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

From what you've shown so far, very promising. :thumb:

14. wbdog206

wbdog206 not me

The finish looks great.

15. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Are those last two pieces metallic, or is that digital noise? If metallic, Cheesecake.

16. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Looking good, I haven't seen a Raven mod yet.

17. milotic858

Painted this part yellow. The entire part is one piece but i will repaint it to look like two pieces. The bottom will be yellow and the top off white. I will be using the same yellow for other pieces inside the case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Masked the yellow and will paint the rest off white

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is what it look like after I peeled off the tape

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Jelle46

Jelle46 Belgium

looks very nice and smooth, those are some flashy colours!!

19. x_JesusNinja_x

x_JesusNinja_x What's a Dremel?

Love that yellow!

20. Boddaker

Boddaker Still hangin around

Hey Milotic, looking really good! I love the painting stage because it is so rewarding when you finally get to peel off the tape.