1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics The choice of LED driver to control the RGB LEDs

Discussion in 'Modding' started by FastCat, 6 Sep 2011.

1. FastCat

FastCat What's a Dremel?

Help me choose a LED driver to control the RGB LEDs (common-anode, not super bright).
    There is an array (12 to 12) from the RGB LEDs.
    General anodes are connected together.
    The result is a common anode and the withdrawal of 144 of each color (R, G, B).
    That this matter be dynamically controlled.

I still find only those - MY9221 and TLC5971 for the implementation of the topic (but am not sure that they fit me).

But perhaps there are other options ?

2. sammo1999

sammo1999 What's a Dremel?

Hey,

The TLC5971 will work well for 16 channels providing they are indeed common anode. It will not work for common cathode.

If you have a 12 x 12 RGB LED Matrix that means you will need a minimum of 36 PWM lines (12 x 3). So you can use 3 TLC5971s and digital lines with MOSFETS to control the rows. I would go with a fast microcontroller so you get a reasonable update rate.

Did you build or buy the 12x12 RGB Matrix? I havn't been able to find a common anode RGB LED Matrix at a resonable price.

-Sammo1999

mvagusta likes this.
  3. FastCat

FastCat What's a Dremel?

I do 12x12x12 RGB Led Cube.
    Which is already fully assembled.

[​IMG]

It remains to consider an electronic circuit for my cube. But for me it was challenging, knowledge is not enough.
    So I ask here .....

mvagusta likes this.
  4. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

WOW, that's awesome :jawdrop:
    Did you buy or build that?
    And what's the goal here, are you trying to make some sort of hologram effect?

5. FastCat

FastCat What's a Dremel?

This RGB Led Cube I had soldered.
    A light effects from it will be the same as the other rgb led cube. Video examples on the internet a lot.

6. sammo1999

sammo1999 What's a Dremel?

Yikes!

How much did it cost for the 1728 LEDS?

To control this with PWM it would probably be best to be able to control an entire row at a time (one 12 x 12 plate). This means 144 RGB LEDS which would is 144*3 = 432 individual LEDs. This means you would need 432/16 = 27 TLC5971s. This is going to be a nightmare to setup and you will still need a beefy microcontroller to control the TLC5971s.

You might want to consider using an FPGA such as the Spartan 3. Sparfun has a breakout or you could design your own PCB around one. (http://www.sparkfun.com/search/results?term=spartan+3&what=products)

You might want to start with a small 2x2x2 or 3x3x3 cube to play around with control methods before you buy the stuff for the monster 12x12x12 unit.

-Sammo1999

7. FastCat

FastCat What's a Dremel?

All LEDs have cost me 760$.

The Internet already is ready to build the circuit RGB Led Cube 4x4x4 form and 8x8x8.
    And I wanted to do something even greater :)
    But obviously in this case have namuchalis with the development of an electronic circuit. Since want to do a minimal amount of chips that will control the LEDs.

8. FastCat

FastCat What's a Dremel?

9. FastCat

FastCat What's a Dremel?