1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Lamptron CW611 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 3 Jul 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Cant beat a nice fan controller for a bit of bling, using software can be a PITA.
    Would love to see more good 3.5″ sized controllers, put those redundant floppy drive bays to good use. But i guess an extra 2 odd inches makes all the difference.

3. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Thats what she said.....

Blazza181 likes this.
  4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

And they say size doesn't matter, blooming lairs :waah:

5. SXRguyinMA

SXRguyinMA What's a Dremel?

No info on the control board circuitry? No close-ups of the components? Review seems thoroughly unfinished. Couple that with all of the ridiculous ads and bit-tech is going downhill FAST.

6. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Hmmm. Personally I'd rather go with the BigNG - software controlled and waaaay more in depth customization - not only that it costs a tenner less (though you don't get a screen)

7. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

I've been having issues with recent fan controllers (Corsair Link, NZXT Sentry Mix) and older fans. The new type of controllers seem to use a version of PWM rather than resistence. This causes old fans to click or tick. It would have been nice for this review to state what type of control this uses - or did I miss it?

8. Luciel

Luciel Needs more rust

The CW611 is not PWM gcwebbyuk

9. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

Can you confirm it works with all fans? I mainly use Scythe S-Flex E.

10. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

The vast majority of our readers are only concerned with the product's features and how well it works when it comes to fan controllers and if you'd bother to click through to the larger image of the PCB you'd get a close up anyway. We haven't gone into specific circuitry details on any fan controller review that I can remember so there's no hill to go down tbh.

Last edited: 3 Jul 2013
  11. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

It will work with any 3 or 4-pin fan so long as it doesn't have a 4-pin molex connector.

12. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

13. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

I was looking on Lamptron's partner section on the forum and came across this. It is difficult to find a nice looking and functional fan controller for more than 5 fans so I was very interested in this. I'm glad it got a decent score, I think I have found the fan controller for my upcoming build.

However, I am also very interested in their FC Touch, any chance of a review of this too?

14. siliconfanatic

Unfortunately I'm gonna need about twice the channels for what I've got in store. Still a good controller though.

15. Luciel

Luciel Needs more rust

As long as the amount of fans you use per channel do not go over 36w/2.5A, yes.

This is correct, the fan connecters do not have surrounding plastic precisely so you can use 4pin (PWM) fans, you just leave the pwm pin out of the equation and let the CW611 do the controlling for you based on temps. While not the best solution remember that even with a 4-pin molex you can use a molex to 3pin adaptor to use the fan.

How many fans did you have in mind using and what fans? Remember you can use splitters as long as the combination of fans does not go over 36w/2.5A per channel :)

16. siliconfanatic

Gentle typhoons for the most part. If that goes too far over budget I'll end up getting Sickleflows and removing the led's. And counting the radiators in push/pull, and the case fans, I'd say about 20 fans, Give or take two.

17. Luciel

Luciel Needs more rust

Tell you what, tell me the specific model and I´ll look in to it for you :)

18. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Ridiculous ads? Oh, you must be one of those weirdos who don't use an adblocker. How quaint ;)

19. Blackshark

Blackshark What's a Dremel?

Well for me I think the review is spot on. Its a fan controller, looks nice, customisable, very good load per channel.... Not sure that indepth ripping the PCB to bits and putting up pictures of the traces would help IMO SX'what ever your name is'.

Beautiful and well engineered. If I ever get back in to watercooling, will certainly consider one of these.

20. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

I look at the screen and I'm right back on my Atari playing Asteroids :D

Tags: Add Tags