1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Corsair prices AX1500i Digital ATX PSU

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 1 May 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

If it's as bad as the 1200i I wouldn't touch this. Seasonic OEM this time?

3. megamale

megamale Minimodder

What is bad about the 1200i? I have it (although had to return one because of electric buzzing noise), it has been fine. And I have been running it 24/7 in 1000W mining rig without issues.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

4. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Wow... That's ridiculously expensive... If you needed a 1.5kW supply then you can get one for only just over £300... (linky)

5. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Well according to JonnyGURU's review it's the best unit he's ever tested, scoring perfect tens on each round. As for the price, I think if you're considering using a 1500W PSU, the liklehood is that the extra £150 for this unit over the enermax is neither here nor there really in the scheme of things.

6. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

I also have a 1200i and have had no issues with it at all; rock solid for me.

I've actually been looking out for a more powerful supply due to running 3 x 290x's.
    I've been put off buying other makes as I am using the replacement Corsair braided cables and don't really want to replace them too.

I would have found this very tempting indeed, but at £450, they can go fish.

7. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

The 1200i is a terrible PSU. They're no longer manufactured by Seasonic, mine too also had an electronic buzz, both of them. They also wouldn't run my three Titans at stock without tripping.

The original 1200AX is a much better PSU.

The Superflower 1200W Platinum will suit your needs for three 290X. They've been known to run four in fact but I'm not sure if that's been tested with additional voltage through them.

8. ZeDestructor

ZeDestructor Minimodder

The AX1200i has never been a Seasonic design, and neither is it a Superflower design. In fact, its a Flextronics design, which is right up there with Delta, and from what I gather, considered ahead of Seasonic in terms of design and build quality.

Source: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=300

Edit: btw, electric buzz is likely a bad batch. Those happen if you build enough of the things.

Edit2:

Just finished reading the review.. perfect 10... first ever... daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn

Last edited: 1 May 2014
  9. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

I never said it was SuperFlower....nor did I say it was Seasonic. The AX1200 was Seasonic, and is a far superior PSU. Don't believe all the reviews you read, I've not seen a single bad review for the 1200i. And it is by far the worst high PSU on the market. I am not alone in thinking this, those of us who have pushed them have seen them fall over.

10. ZeDestructor

ZeDestructor Minimodder

You said they are no longer manufactured by Seasonic. This implies you believe they were previously. AX!= AXi.

As a non-owner of any AXi PSUs, I can't say anything about your unit, but I have had my fair share of hardware failures, ranging from the graceful, easily fixed and/or not worth RMAing to stuff I had to RMA within hours of the defect appearing (Xperia Z letting water in)

11. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Can you back these statements up with any proof?

12. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

I shouldn't have to back anything up. I've used Corsair PSUs for many years, I've no reason to bad-mouth the Digital units for no reason. They're just sub par and that is that. If having two units, both of which cannot handle three Titans at stock let alone 1.3v is not enough of a reason to bash them then I don't know what else to say to you.

Here is Ian (8-Packs) opinion on them after using them for record attempts.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=25632704&postcount=11

As I've said already, the original AX series are a much better PSU, I'd happily use one over the Digital.

EDIT: There is every as much chance that the 1500w unit may be better, however I personally having the experience I've had with the previous units think the price tag is a little bit extreme, especially when there are already a few exceptional 1500s on the market already.

Last edited: 1 May 2014
  13. Jim

Jim Ineptimodder

Isn't the guy behind JonnyGURU employed by Corsair?

14. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yes. Yes, he is. And he got the job before he posted the test results for the AX1200i, despite saying he wasn't going to do any more PSU reviews to avoid a conflict of interest. I have no horse in that race, but I'd certainly take his AX1200i "mini-review" with a whole heaped helping of salt. I note, however, that he didn't write the AX1500i review linked upthread.

15. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

FWIW the original AX1200 was a Flextronics-made PSU too, as far as I understood. I owned one for a fair while and I thought that it was excellent.

16. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Said religion.

17. Redbeard

Redbeard What's a Dremel?

Jon hasn't reviewed products in years. Before he worked for us, he worked for Razer, BFG, and a number of other tech companies. He retired from the site years ago and the reviews are done by either Tazz or Oklahoma Wolf.

The AX1200i review was Tazz, not Jon.

18. Gareth Halfacree

Fair enough - I'd never even heard of the guy before this thread. I was only going by Jon himself saying: "Early next week I'm posting load test results for the AX1200i. Sort of a mini-review."

19. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I just ordered one. My 4 290x setup should be fine with this.

20. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

I got a 1200i and its been solid, if its anything to go by the 1500i should be great too