1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Backing up Exchange Mailbox to PST

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Pookie, 8 Mar 2017.

1. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi Guys

I need a tool that I can set to automatically run once aweek on exchange to export all mailboxes to PST files once a week, this is in addition to the existing backup solutions in place. Its just for exchange 2007 and 2010.

I will need to look into backing up 365 at some point in the near future but this project is just to focus on the on premises machines we look after. I'm sure that this could be achieved with power shell and maybe run as a task but my powershell skills are rubbish.

I have had a quick look at this as purchasing software is an option...
    https://www.systoolsgroup.com/exchange-export.html

Thoughts and suggestions are most welcome please :thumb:

2. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Why? Why, would you want to do that?

All you're going to do is create massive amounts of PST's which can't be imported back without breaking single-instance storage.

What backups do you run at the moment and what features is it missing?

3. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Just running the standard built in server backup, the goal is to be able to restore a mailbox in the event a user deletes it when they leave or if corruption occurs. Go easy on me :worried:

4. saspro

saspro IT monkey

5. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Storage craft is nice, or you could look at Veaam, I prefer veaam to storage craft..

https://www.veeam.com/

But yeah you don't want to be PST'ing out mailboxes really, it takes ages and will use space less efficiently than a granular backup/recovery application.

And really - win server backup isn't that great, RTO can be a bit crap with win server backup.

RE: 365 - there are some solutions for 365 backup on the market, however, I don't think they add a lot of value. You should look at mimecast, it's an antispam product that also gives business continuity for up to 58 days (in the event of any service outages on 365), and it does journalling of all your mail AND you can injest all your legacy data into it, so while it's not a backup, it's way more functional and useful, and at about the same sort of cost as a decent 365 backup solution.

6. Chairboy

Chairboy I want something good to die for...

You could try scripting it. We dumped out old users to .pst before we migrated to O365

My script:

Code:
    get-mailboxdatabase | Get-Mailbox -OrganizationalUnit "[I]whatever OU[/I]" | Add-MailboxPermission -User [I]whateveraccount[/I] -AccessRights FullAccess

get-mailboxdatabase | Get-Mailbox -OrganizationalUnit "[I]whatever OU[/I]" | Export-Mailbox -PSTFolderPath C[I]:\pathtosave[/I] -Baditemlimit 5000
    And +1 for Veeam, it's the shizzle

7. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

100% if you use PST for email backup a user wants to restore and email that is a bad item :D