1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel demos Nehalem-EX octal-core CPU

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 27 May 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

Mmmmm... threads.

3. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

Coming to a Pixar studio near you soon. Don't need it, but want it:)

4. Jozo

Jozo This is bit-tech

Will they ever stop putting more and more cores in CPUs??

It may be needed for high performance computing and such "pro" stuff. But I hope it never comes in our everyday desktops cause I'm gona go nuts.

BTW I think the link to the thread in the forums doesn't work.

5. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

How fast will the be able to go with stock cooling? People may be better off if they can overclock a quad core further, after all, not much uses eight cores.

6. MrGumby

MrGumby CPC 464 User

Better write that letter to Santa James. This would be a folders wet dream!

7. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

Good to see the march of technology continuing. People saying they have no need for anything more that quad core at the moment are probably the same people who said dual cores are plenty when quads were demo'd. We won't be getting to the too many cores sector until every thread has it's own core and as multi core is the way things are going software will very quickly take advantage of this. Takes me back to the days of upgrading to a dual core cpu and seeing my cfd computations take half the time, that was a very good day! I'm sure the F1 teams will be knocking at the door to get their simulation servers upgraded so they can simulate even more with the lack of in season testing now allowed!

8. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

Except for McLaren, who seem to be running their simulations on Wiis, given their performance this season.

9. Von Lazuli

Von Lazuli I get by fine with a jig-saw.

Oh! I want soo much...

As I sit here waiting 20minutes for a single frame render, I am desperately crying out for more threads...

Gimme Intel?

10. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

lolololol, awesome!

it may have limited applications for desktop users bit where cgi, simulations and any heavy calculations are required in supercomps, this kind of technology will always help things along.

peace

fatman

11. Goty

Goty Minimodder

Who wants to bet that it would be more cost effective to go with twice as many quad core CPUs than to shell out for this thing?

12. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

^well, you would need twice as many motherboards, twice as many coolers and likely twice as much space. It might be cheaper with quad cores but I think it unlikely.

13. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

Have to say I had said to plenty of people that for the average person quad cores are more than they need and I stand by that.

14. dec

dec [blank space]

i wonder how much intel is going to have to pay the EU when it tries to sell these for $10000000 =D. anyways 16 threads.....goodness any guesses on how many seconds it takes this thing to benchmark on paint.NET? my bet is somewhere between 1 and 20.

15. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

This weekend at Monaco I saw a McLaren's notebook with a Core i7 simbol... so... I just think it's a problem of aeroynamics with a bad chassis. Next year, maybe...

16. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Impressive stuff but as long as applications/games won't use more than 4 cores this is only interesting for render farms or number crunchers.

Still, me want. ;)

17. Anakha

Anakha Minimodder

Simple answer: No. They're getting very close to the wall on how high they can make a single core run. But with die-shrinking going on all the time, they can still satisfy Moore's law by doubling the cores on a processor instead.

And that's why multithreaded development is the next big thing™ in computer programming these days.

Tags: Add Tags