1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Frio compatability with P8P67 board + Memory

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MaverickSB, 18 Jan 2011.

1. MaverickSB

MaverickSB What's a Dremel?

Hi There,

I am looking into buying an Asus P8P67 Pro motherboard and 8GB Ripjaws-X 1600 Mhz memory for my new PC build which will have an i5 2500k CPU.

Here is link to memory: http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=353

My question is will the Thermaltake Frio CPU cooler fit, or will it be too big for the memory.

If not compatible can you recommend another CPU cooler that will?

Cheers

2. ardz

ardz What's a Dremel?

Lets find out! I've just ordered the same board and CPU cooler and they'll be arriving tomorrow. I'll let you know! :worried:

3. soviet_

soviet_ Bantros

You might have a problem with the heatsinks getting in the way

I use a Gelid Tranquillo and that fits fine, although it fits snug on my RAM

Last edited: 19 Jan 2011
  4. bemused

bemused What's a Dremel?

I'm about to order the same stuff and when I read that review I was a little worried. Not too worried in that I could use the stock cooler while I got another - nice thread :)

5. rollo

rollo Modder

You can remove the heatsinks on the first slot of ram then it fits np or you can swap the frio round and not install 2 fans either works if ya have a high air flow case the diffence in temp will be small and ram doesn't need cooling unless your pushing them hard(2ghz +)

6. JuMpErFLY

JuMpErFLY Minimodder

Fits ok with sensibly sized ram. Might be a struggle with larger heatsinks unless the fan is removed on the ram side as already mentioned by rollo.

[​IMG]

7. Slazher

Slazher What's a Dremel?

What cases are you using with your Frio? Ive been looking for a new case and wondered if it would fit in a Fractal Define F3.

8. Matticus

Matticus ...

It should do, I am using a Megahalems in a Fractal Define R3, the Megahalems is a fair amount taller.

I can fit a 12cm fan onto the side using the Megahalems, but a 14cm fan would hit it. I don't think you would have a problem with either a 12cm or a 14cm with the frio.

9. rosovey

rosovey What's a Dremel?

You should manage, I like to get more low profile RAM nowadays myself just to be sure I have no issues with a big CPU cooler

10. j_jay4

j_jay4 Minimodder

How'd it go?

I'm thinking about ordering the Frio, Got some Ripjaws already. Can you tell me if you had to remove the heatsink on the memory closest to the Frio?

11. xkarfase

xkarfase What's a Dremel?

Which Corsair RAM do you have? I have some Vengeance and they are pretty tall, but am considering which CPU cooler to buy (currently using stock cooler). I'd like the Gelid Tranquillo if it fits so I'd be grateful if you could let me know.

12. alleyne

alleyne What's a Dremel?

i had the gigiabyte p55-ud3 board, with the frio and a pair of RIP-JAW sticks, and when i had the second fan installed i was not able to have a stick in the first ram slot dues to its high heat sink. not sure if you will have this problem but it will be pretty easy to mod the second fan onto the frio say 1cm higher.

13. TissieSaffie

TissieSaffie What's a Dremel?

I have a Fractal Design R3 with an X58 Mobo, and the Frio installed. Fits fine, no problems. (and cools fantastically btw!!!) I have it on low fan speed and my CPU never gets more than 40 degrees C.

14. neil_b

neil_b Minimodder

Hmmmm, all gone suspiciously quiet.....:worried:

15. j_jay4

j_jay4 Minimodder

My order has arrived, not had time to do the build but this heatsink is massive. I'm thinking I will probably have to remove the heatsink on the first stick of ram and also it is taaallllllll! I'm probably gonna have to remove the fan on the side of my case. Thinking now I should of gone with a smaller heatsink. I bet CPC will rub salt in the wound when they publish the Sandy Bridge HSF labs test. Gutted. Will update when I've put it all together