1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Asus GeForce GTX 970 DirectCU Mini Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 15 Jan 2015.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Cute and powerful.

3. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Sweet little card, for me this is perfection, what ITX is all about, love it.
    Very good review, as always, well done bit-tech.

4. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Completely agree Mike - my wallet is quivering in the corner :)

5. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Built a machine yesterday with the EVGA 970, which is so quiet we had to double check it was on.

6. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Very nice wee card ! but am I the only one who thinks these mini cards are sort of a waste of time except in only a few cases ? I mean most mini ITX case manufacturers these days factor in the space for a full length, double slot GPU, I know there are a few exceptions but even so I wouldn't think there would be much of a market for these mini cards.

7. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Having built a system in a mini ITX Node a little while back, I would say even though these itx cases can accomodate larger cards, the more room in those cases the better as things get extremely fiddly, particularly cable management.

8. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

I think this is key. It's good to see ITX cases that can handle larger cards, but there's almost always a benefit to having a shorter one when space is so limited, depending on the exact case design of course.

9. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

These mini cards are brilliant, kinda makes me wonder why we still have the big ones although I wouldn't swap my frozr 970 for it.

A bit overkill for either of my mini itx builds who's duties only include being a portable lan machine and steam big picture box in the lounge playing less gpu intense games.

I'd be happy with a mini 660/750 or even a small 560ti (if there is a small enough one for the elite 110).

10. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Good point supermuchurios, cable management never even crossed my mind.

11. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

I've had the Gigabyte version of this card for a while now and I love it. 25W lower TDP than the 760 it replaced and my SFX power supply is more than adequate in supporting it.

12. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

I remember it was akin to juggling treacle when I built mine.
    The heat made me go back to my current Corsair 350D.

13. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

I'm finding mine alright, Idle: GPU-30 CPU-25 Load: GPU- 63 CPU-60. The cables on the PSU were quiet long though so I was able to pin them along the floor and case sides to avoid obstructing air flow, that and the prodigy is pretty big for a mini itx !

14. acitodg

acitodg What's a Dremel?

Nice review! Nice card!

15. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

Did I miss it, no mention of noise levels? (sorry if I did, as I skimmed some of the article, it's late!)

16. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Not much to miss but yeah:
    'The whole apparatus is cooled by a single fan, specifically an Asus CoolTech fan. The fan pairs an inner radial blower-style fan with outer, downward-facing curved blades, and is designed to move more air through the entirety of the heatsink while also staying very quiet.'

17. Lankius Maximus

Lankius Maximus Minimodder

Great review. This has been up on preorder on Overclockers for over a month now and it has stopped me from ordering the Gigabyte mini itx variant I was initially pushing for. Is there any idea when this is actually going to hit the shelves as details are still pretty scant as to a release date.

18. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

Very lovely.

But my not-so-dinky Zotac is completely confident it's not getting replaced in my Corsair 250D, since it's pretty damn small too. And for $365CAD.

19. Dogbert666

I have asked and will try to get an answer for you - hopefully I'll have one early next week :)

20. Dogbert666

Following this up.. Asus has reserved some units for the UK for next week. Assuming distributors order them promptly, the current best guess is that they should be in stock and ready to buy late next week or early the week after.

Tags: Add Tags