1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Possible dead motherboard- halp!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by .//TuNdRa, 25 Mar 2012.

1. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

okay. so earlier today I got tired of all my watercooling kit being sat on tue windowledge and decided to tear it all down and fit it into the case. a while later, after id finished leaktesting; I plugged the power I to my motherboard and got no POST. Crap. Theres also no video output from either of the Gpus. i've tried; all four sticks of RAM in all four slots, checked all connections and contacts, and just now ive torn the watercooling out and im running it all on original air cooling heatsinks. still no luck.

help with this would be appreciated. I'm stumped. and rather pissed off, tbh.

2. mikeyman198

mikeyman198 Lets pretend this is hilarious.

Have you tried taking it out of the case and trying with only the necessary components?

3. .//TuNdRa

Yes. still dead.

4. Deders

Deders Modder

Damn! No bios coded? Reset bios?

5. feathers

feathers Minimodder

What was the coolant? Distilled water?

How old was the coolant?

If there was no spillage then I wonder if static charge.

6. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

Double checked the PSU?

7. .//TuNdRa

Coolant was Ek EKoolant, about three months old. No POST codes, no video output. system was assembled on a wooden surface, so theres little to generate static off. I think its fcked.

8. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I once spent a day fitting PWM, NB, SB waterblocks to my old Asus P5b, power on, nothing, completely dead.

It seems I killed the mobo either when I dropped the CPU accidentally onto the cpu socket or perhaps it was Henry with his static charge that fried the board. The board was out of case on table when both events happened.

9. .//TuNdRa

Didn't remove the PSU and the only electrical thing near the case was my phone. I'm stumped. I think the rest all still works, but the Mobo does seem to be dead.

10. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Sounds like a case for a return... no post at all then it's got to be the board if you've removed all other shiz.

One of my boards wouldn't post the other day... but it was that it didn't like the IDE CD-RW drive.

EDIT: And even then, at least stuff momentarily came up on the screen. I take it you've tested the psu then?

11. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Usually mobos are pretty tough things. Although... it was an AMD... Perhaps it's time to change a few bits. :)

12. .//TuNdRa

I was waiting for that. Get me an Intel CPU and mobo for £20 and I might be able to. otherwise; I don't have a Pc.

13. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

I would look at RMA for board if it is not the PSU then... sounds to me like the board is totally bulldozered! (eeek! sry!)

14. .//TuNdRa

The board was watercooled at the time. I doubt my warrenty covers that.

15. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Hopefully it's just the board. Very rare for other bits to be killed, so u can get another board for your bits.

16. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Simple, don't mention the watercooling. I doubt they'll be scrutinizing that much surely? You can totally deny ever having fluids near it.

17. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

This, just put the old heatsink on, assuming you still have it and they will be none the wiser, I've done it a few times :p

and sorry if it is your board dude, (it sounds like it to me) I feel for you, I'm having to sell of a load of my gear as my car decided it would be funny if the clutch and timing belt went pop, some Although from what TG suggested and from having a brief look I don't think I need a new engine, I will be swapping the engine for TT and new gearbox, so that's going to be a hefty 4.5k bill :wallbash:

Last edited: 25 Mar 2012
  18. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

I got flamed in these very forums for suggesting something similar once.

19. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

Really? :s how silly.

20. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

Yes, I thought so too. Meh.

@tundra; don't give up on amd! I've a soft spot for amd too. Nothing beats overclocking on them. Intel are so uniform; put x volts through, you get y frequency. Amd are much more of a challenge I find.

Is it worth putting the board in the airing cupboard for a couple days in the hope it may dry any moisture out? Can't hurt can it?