1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling Which 120mm fan?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mars-bar-man, 7 Nov 2010.

1. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Well, I think I may need to upgrade my cooling on my radiator, trying to run an OC'd i7-860 on a 120mm with a stock LianLi fan isn't working out. It works, but it still gets a little toasty.

There's no hope of me upgrading anything but the fan, so that's what I need help on.

I'm not sure on what one to go for? I've shortlisted a 2:

SilenX iXtrema Pro 14dBa

Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1450rpm

Help? Please? :)

2. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

The Typhoons without a doubt, I know a lot of people on the forums use them on rads as they have excellent static pressure, my only suggestion would be to get the 1850rpm models and hook them up to a fan controller, my experience with the 1450rpm variants in the past is that they can be a little loud.

mars-bar-man likes this.
  3. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Hmm, ok, I can't find the 1850's anywhere, or atleast anywhere that has stock.

Also should have mentioned I'm using a Black Ice Stealth GT rad, very high fin density. Don't know whether this will effect anything that much?

4. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

Aquatuning have some coming in on the 15th according to their site, as for the rad, higher fin density probably just increases the requirements for fans that have a decent amount of pressure to force the air through which is why the GT's are so highly regarded amongst watercooling user's, they have plenty of it.

5. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

Just means you've got to use faster fans to get the air through. A lower fin density gives fans less resistance, but less cooling area.

Those Stealth GT rads are THIN! I'm assuming this is in Shrink, so upgrading even slightly is out of the question?

6. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

I think you'll find QuietPC have the 1850's in stock :thumb:

mars-bar-man likes this.
  7. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Even if you managed to squeeze in a 120mm XSPC RS I think you'd certainly see a noticeable difference...

8. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

Exactly what I'd been thinking, funnily enough. It's 35mm vs 29mm, but if you account for 5mm on the sides for shroud/casing, all of a sudden, it's 30mm vs 24mm. A good 25% increase in cooling potential, and with the wider fins, hopefully less need for high-pressure fans. You can use the GTs anyway and slow them down, and still have some room left for more power if it gets too warm.

mars-bar-man likes this.
  9. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Yeah, it's for Shrink, and I don't have the rest of the coolant with me, so I can't really change the radiator. I'll try and get hold of some of the 1850's then.

Thanks for all teh help!

10. Dopey

Dopey What's a Dremel?

I just this second got this, Fractal Design 120mm Silent Series Cooling Fan Noise level at full speed (12V) dB(A) 15.0 if there's a quieter one out there i don't know, but its powerful enough for me, i have ordered 3 of them so i'm sure that will be enough, and i wont be having them at full speed anyway, what with having 3 working it negates having to have them on full, at the end of the day all your trying to do is push hot air out, and cooler air in...

11. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Depends what you are looking for, cooling or quietness.
    If you want quietness first, than Noctua fans are the best at this. However the sacrifice is lower than most fans static pressure.
    They are other fans with extremely high static pressure, but sounds like a jet plane engine.

I already played with SilentX fan, and I put them in high static pressure but also very noisy fans. There is nothing silent about them even at low speed. I was really disappointed, based on hype I got from people. Their definition of silent is not the same as mine. It's obviously not super loud... but it wasn't the "quietest fan that exists", claims I got. I returned the 4 fans I got. I actually found my Antec case fan to be quieter at low speed with similar static pressure. Ok I lie, they vibrate more, but I put the rubber things to absorb the fan vibrations to compensate.

Right now, my computer is air cooled, and I put Noctua fans everywhere. I have great cooling. Not excellent of course... but in my case noise was more important than cooling. The cooling is obviously MUCH MUCH MUCH better than the fan/heatsink my Core i7 came with.

So it depends on what you are trying to achieve. In my opinion, if you have and external water cooling system, (eg: not he water cooling setup like the Corsair CPU cooler setup), than I would get a Noctua fans. Already without fans you should get a descent temperatures,. Putting a loud fan, defeats the purpose of the water cooling (noisy). So, I would aim for the quietest fans possible.

Last edited: 7 Nov 2010