1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling Controlling radiator fans

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fanatic, 15 Jan 2011.

1. Fanatic

Fanatic Monimidder

I have my WC setup arriving in the next few days to build my new SB rig in a new TJ07 case.

I will be using an RX480 rad with 4 x 1200rpm Sharkoon "Golf Ball" Silent Eagles. This will be cooling a 2600K and a gtx570 via an MCP355/EK-DDC X-Top V2 combo.

I don't particularly want to use an external speed controller and am toying with the idea of controlling the fans via the PWM Cpu Fan header on the P8P67 Pro. Im not sure if this would overload the header, the fans are rated at 0.1A at 1.2W.

Is this a viable solution or would a fan controller be necessary?

Cheers for any advice :thumb:

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

That'd probably blow the header. They're only designed with one fan in mind. I'd get a front panel controller personally. I use a Scythe Kaze Master Ace Which runs very well :)

3. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

4. Fanatic

Fanatic Monimidder

Thanks for replies guys - appreciated.

From what I've read the CPU header will normally supply 1A at 12W so 4 fans at 0.1A and 1.2W 'should' be well within its limits. The actual rating for the P8P67 Pro CPU header is proving a little more difficult to find but am looking!

Ive just spotted this - only for 3 fans but draws its power direct from the PSU via the molex connector. This would work if I can find one for 4 - or mod one ofc :eyebrow:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/akas...nnectoer-for-rpm-feedback-for-the-motherboard

The Mini NG in the thread you mention looks perfect however and could happily be tucked away out of sight. Thanks for the link :thumb:

5. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

With a quad rad I doubt whether running those fans at slow or full speed will make much of a difference to overall temps. I use the Zaward 1200rpm version of those fans and they're not very effective on a rad. If you're looking for reasonably quiet but more powerful ones then the Gentle Typhoon 1450 is better.

6. Fanatic

Fanatic Monimidder

If in doubt - read the manual!

CPU header delivers 1A(12W) so 4 Sharkoon SE's are fine in that config. Just need to make/buy the cables for it.

Extra sleeving fun!

Edit: Thanks Big Elf - I already have the fans as they were recommended elsewhere but if they don't perform as needed I can always swap them out. In fact I may just do that while in the 7 days after purchase.

Last edited: 15 Jan 2011
  7. Wing Zero

Wing Zero Ita-sha owner

i'd reccomend grabbing 4 Akasa black apache PWM fans, and 2 of the Akasa PWM fan splitter cables. the Akasa splitter feeds the power to the fans from a seperate molex connector, so no risk of popping the CPU mosfet. all you plug into the mobo is the RPM and PWM cable. then connect 2 apache fans to 2 of the 3 out plugs and daisy-chained the other akasa splitter into the 3rd socket, which the other 2 BA fans will connect. you'll have a 5th socket spare to use elsewhere if needed (perhaps a rear case fan)

8. Lord-Vale3

Lord-Vale3 His Tremendousness

Just remember that the more devices in a parallel circuit decreases the resistance.

9. Fanatic

Fanatic Monimidder

Well I have initiated the return of the Sharkoons with Scan so will be deliberating my replacements.

I am leaning towards the Typhoons for a few reasons - commonly recommended for use with the RX480 on various sites and from a purely aesthetic point of view they will fit my build perfectly.

@Lord-Vale3 - Are you implying that connecting these in series are a potential problem? I have a 'very' basic understanding of electronic circuitry but not to the extent to fully understand your point!

10. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

You need to read again. That's 1A (12V) = 12W. A single one of your fans has 0.2A (12V) = 2.4 W.

Aditionally, a CPU-header works with PWM (pulse-width modulation) and not by reducing the voltage and I've never seen that method working with more then a single fan attached actually.

With that said, this... mCubed T-Balancer bigNG is what you want.

Available at aquatuning -> http://www.aquatuning.co.uk/product_info.php/info/p1389_FanController-T-Balancer-bigNG.html

Last edited: 15 Jan 2011
  11. Toka

Toka Minimodder

12. Big Elf

For a very simple fan controller then the Zalman Fanmate 2 will run 4 GT 1450's http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products/casefanaccessories/fanmate2 It's very cheap too.

I used one for around 4 months before I moved to a Lamptron Fan Controller. It didn't appear to have any problems and didn't get hot, well not until I connected 4 Scythe Slipstream 1900's to it, then it just stopped working.

13. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

If he wants something, that automatically adjusts speed for 4 fans, then the T-Balancer bigNG is the only solution tho.

14. Big Elf

True, I was just suggesting a cheap solution. I forgot to mention that these fan splitters are useful too http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_8683.html

With the system in my sig the difference between running the fans at 12v and 5v is about 4ºC. That's with the CPU only under full load.

15. Fanatic

Fanatic Monimidder

Ok, manual definitely states 1A (12W) - I guess it must be incorrect - was just a copy straight out of the book.

Using the Akasa fan splitter the power is taken via the molex direct from the PSU and not through the cpu header.

I have been busy reading others issues with the splitter and it does appear to be a little hit and miss. However for £3 it would be remiss of me to not try it for myself before forking out on the bigNG. I would however have to wire a 4th connector.

Thanks for all of your inputs

16. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I know you've moved on from this, but another thing to watch out for it that most fans need a boost when they first start, usually 1A, as I came across this with my GT's. As I wanted to wire all 3 to one fan header on my Master Kaze. The starting ampage would've blown it though...

17. asura

asura jack of all trades

Don't forget that the rated power of the fans, is for running at 100%. Start-up draw can be as much as 25% over that! It's no use knowing that a header can handle the fans only to have it blow your board first time you power it up.

18. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Just said that :p

19. Big Elf

I don't know how you work these things out but if it's any help the GT1450s use 0.049A (GT1850s use 0.083A). The Slipstream 1900s use 0.53A so I also don't know why there's a big disparity between the different types.

20. Fanatic

Fanatic Monimidder

Just read through a thread on another forum where several people have simply made their own cables. Just a case of powering off the molex and daisy chaining the PWM pin out - works a treat by all accounts.

Definately want to try it first at least ;)