1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Google employees convicted by Italian court

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 25 Feb 2010.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

2. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

I Still don't understand how there can be so much BS in this world.

You have to be an idiot to agree with these convictions.

3. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

this is disgusting

4. Sleepstreamer

Sleepstreamer I modded christmas!

That is just completely moronic

5. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

This is an insane judgement that will get thrown out sooner or later.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if every internet provider, ISP etc all decided to switch themselves off until this was all sorted out. Think of it, no google, no banking, no government agencies, nothing. Money and SLAs mean it will never happen of course, but I for one would laugh.

6. rimscar

rimscar What's a Dremel?

just goes to show how much disconnect there is between the laws that govern man and the actual man himself.....
    utter utter stupidity from the people who contributed so much to western civilisation

7. BlackMage23

BlackMage23 RPG Loving Freak

All the companies that have any social networking sites should just boycott Italy until this is sorted out.

8. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Why does the prosecution argue that they failed to comply with privacy laws? Any word on the actual arguments used?

9. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

Any idea which technicality of the privacy law was used to prosecute them?

I can't believe a jury would come to any such conclusion when considering all the implications.

I'd love to see google and all major content hosting companies shut Italy out until this is sorted.

10. frojoe

frojoe What's a Dremel?

This was a moronic decision. If I was an of those employees, I would be glad I worked at Google for this, because I would imagine Google will throw some serious legal weight behind these guys. It is both upsetting on the basis of just this case, but is also a terrible precedent. Lets hope clearer heads prevail in an appeal.

11. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

I'm guessing the decision was made by a judge who thinks the Ipad is something that women use monthly...

12. DarkRose

DarkRose What's a Dremel?

I think Google should just pull out of Italy the same way it did in Chin.... Hold on, never mind, Google made an empty threat to China and hasn't followed through yet. Hopefully they'll back their employees in Italy better.

13. chrisds

chrisds What's a Dremel?

awful

14. LucusLoC

LucusLoC What's a Dremel?

i have always held the belief that companies, like individuals, should be able to act in a bigoted, self destructive manner and the consumer should be the one to decide whether or not to do business with them. many companies set stupid precedent in their business dealings, and they either learn for their mistakes, loose gobs of cash or go under. governments do not have that luxury. when a government sets stupid precedent it must be fought tooth and nail, least we loose even more of our freedom to power hungry "leaders." i applaud google for not taking this one laying down, and wish them the best of luck. the EU needs to be taken down a few notches (not saying that any other country is better, we are all heading away from freedom as a treasured value)

15. Faulk_Wulf

Faulk_Wulf Internet Addict

Actually they did follow through. They stopped censoring their searches.

16. Jaguar_Infinity

Jaguar_Infinity Just some guy

I think it would be unlikely that Google would pull out of Italy. Simply put, they would make more money from operating in Italy than they would spend on taking their legal challenge all the way to the European courts. What could be interesting is if they pulled out for a week as a protest, the taste of disruption that would be caused when all Google services are withdrawn just for a week would send a big message. Of course if they did that there would be the inevitable cries of Google being too powerfull and exploiting their position but it would still be a big message to send.

17. DaMightyMouse

DaMightyMouse What's a Dremel?

Madness...

18. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

Google to Borg italy just like when Tesco invaded Denmark in 2031.

19. Neox010

Neox010 EvE Addict

It is insane, this could have easily been kept out of the courts, and sorted out with a slap on the wrist, no person(s) was hurt by this.

I'd rather they spent their resources on solving things which are worthy of the courts.

20. Nickel

Nickel What's a Dremel?

just insane

Tags: Add Tags