1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Beamdog announces Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 16 Mar 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

Well, I already own several copies of this, and it looks like soon I'll have one more. Can't wait!

3. Whirly

Whirly What's a Dremel?

Oooh, the first game announcement this year that has truly excited me.

4. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

Loved the series I remember spending alot of time trying to do my own voice acting for the custom characters you could import. Drove my dad nuts me repeating the same lines over and over again. Think I still have some of the WAV files somewhere!

5. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

I would rather pay money for a remake of this than most games released in the past three years!

6. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

7. CrazyBlade

CrazyBlade What's a Dremel?

I'll second that one. Cannot wait.

8. Spectrator

Spectrator What's a Dremel?

Sounds like perfect time to purchase this legend at last and go through it for the first time!! (o^-^o)

9. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

I'll think I'll get me some Baldur's Gate time again!!

I agree with the above sentiments, best gaming news in a long time - only beaten by the gameplay video of the X-Com remake.

10. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

Higher definition content? You've got that courtesy of the Widescreen Mod (which works with BG2, Icewind Dale and Planescape).

New content? There's been a modding scene producing that for over a decade with the likes of The Darkest Day, Shadows over Soubar, Tortured Souls and Check the Bodies mods. You also have BGT Weidu (Baldur's Gate Trilogy) which imports Baldur's Gate/Tales of the Sword Coast into the BG2 engine, allowing you to play a single epic game from the Candlekeep Inn to Bhaal's Throne. And you can combine them all (with dozens of other mods, expanding BG to over 30GB in size) via the BiG World installer (see the Spellhold Mega Mod Help forum and How to install BWP for newbies (and up) for more details - it's a work in progress so not yet easy to use).

Internal game engine limits are being tackled by projects like TobEx (several features including increasing the number of kits selectable on character creation and the number of spells accessible in the spellbook) and Infinity Animations (increasing the number of creature graphics). And then there's the open-source GemRB which may even be able to increase the existing 6-character limit (handy, given the vast range of joinable NPCs available from various mods).

It's hard to see any "enhanced" version maintaining compatibility with the great swathe of mods and fixes out there - or being able to match the work done by hundreds of modders over the last decade. If a console release is planned, then it seems likely that the game engine would have to be dumbed down considerably to cope with joypad-only controls (e.g. always-on AI, smaller party size with weaker opponents to compensate, smaller spell selection, etc).

BG/BG2 was (and still is, with the appropriate mods) an awesome gameplay experience and one that deserves a refresh (maybe Beamdog could fix the craptastic pathfinding algorithm that dogged so many of Bioware's games?) but it's difficult not to see the potential downsides also.

11. yesitsme

yesitsme What's a Dremel?

12. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

I.. buh... wah.. *brain sizzles*

MUST BUY AND MOD!

13. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Hmm, not sure about this. Never played BG, but I played BG2 and enjoyed it. Updating an engine and releasing new content seems a bit pointless. As someone already said, there's loads of content out there already, and it'd have to be a pretty big update to the engine to make it seem worthwhile.

I suppose it all depends how good the game will look. Imo, the game could be released again with a new graphics engine and would sell really well.

14. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

no no no no no no no!
    LoL... You all miss the point! Its Baldurs Gate!

Cities always teem with evil and decay... Let's give it a good shake and seeee what faaalls out!

:rock:

15. GW42

GW42 What's a Dremel?

3rd'd!

I came to the party late (i think my first play through was about 2004-05 ish) but easily one of the, if not the best gaming experiences I've had. I particularly enjoyed going back to it a couple of years and playing BGT all the way from candlekeep through to the end, in nice big widescreen.

16. CowBlazed

CowBlazed What's a Dremel?

Baulder's Gate mobile on tablets and phones would be interesting.

17. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

18. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Baldur's Gate 2 is still my favourite game of all time, so I'll be looking forward to this.

19. caruga

caruga What's a Dremel?

No, it's they're the same low-definition graphics of over 10 yrs ago, scaled to a widescreen display so that it doesn't appear stretched. There is no extra detail; to achieve that would mean redrawing the graphics, either with 3D rendering software or by hand.

Also suggesting the modding community has surpassed the original creation sounds pretty arrogant to me. They're standing on the shoulders of giants.

20. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

I'd buy it.

Imagine if this ended up selling more than Dragon Age 2 :) That would be the greatest event in gaming, of all time.

Tags: Add Tags